6-14 money amps 144 +2/270 +4/252 pmps 180 +2/162 +6/90

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Roxy450, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Should I shoot with that number ?

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Will you be home? Do you have enough testing strips and high carb food if needed?

Marina & Chico likes this.
  3. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Yes I will be home I do have strips but no high carb food . I could get some at the corner store . I also have maple syrop.

4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Roxanne! Don’t worry, that 144 seems scary but it’s a perfectly safe number. Please remove the 911 from your thread title. You can give the 1 unit of insulin to Money if you have the supplies Karen mentions. 144 is no different from the 162 you’ve shot before (given 20% meter variance).

5. Hercule's mum

For experienced members this is a perfectly safe number to shoot, but it always scary when people start. I don't know how confortable you are yet, so it needs to be your decision. However, eventually you would want your kitty to be always in blues and greens, so many of us shoot cats in blues and greens.

The trick is to keep monitoring him often, and give him some higher carb food, if it looks like he is going to go to low. If you keep posting the readings at +1, +, +3, we will help guide you.

6. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Thanks guys I’ve removed the 911 and gave her 0.75u . I will monitor her !! One more question I did a curve yesterday for my vet and I realized that I’m not able to get blood from one ear ? The other one is fine … why is there no blood ? I feel really bad cuz I’m poking her and having to move spots. I massage her ear and I put Vaseline . Any ideas ?

7. Hercule's mum

Both ears have to have blood on them! :)
    So it might be that money always sleep on one ear, and is tehrefore warmer? or perhaps the angle you are approaching the ears is differnt and you end poking different places?
    Are you using anything to warm the ears? That can make a big difference.

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see all those blues, Roxanne.

Roxy450 likes this.
  9. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

We noticed a similar issue because the left ear was more poked it gave blood easier then the right one. This changed with time as we tried to poke alternating the ears :)

I will second Karen's idea about warming the ears before pocking. For us using a sock full of rice, warmed in the microwave was a game changer :)

10. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Roxanne, please get a +1 and post it here. Thanks :)

11. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

I just tested her @ +1.45 and she’s at 270

12. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

I fed her 1can ff and she stole a bite from her sis before I caught her lol .

13. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

I’m trying to make a comment on ss and I’m getting a error !?!
    upload_2021-6-14_9-51-41.png

14. Bandit's Mom

looks like she is bouncing!

high carb food?

15. Bandit's Mom

you need to input all the data in the World (mmol/l) tab and the US (mg/dl) automatically picks it up.

16. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

I have rubbed and massaged the ear and it’s harm to touch to start of with !! It’s been 3days I’ve been trying in diff places and all ! I end up giving up and pricking other ear but I feel like it’s a lot for 1 ear and I even seen a tear come out of eye on that side where I’ve been poking

17. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

No same as her food

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  18. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Is this good or bad ? Does this mean she will be high all day ? Did I do something wrong ?

19. Marina & Chico

rubbing is good but it can be irritating for them in the beginning. Try filling a sock with rice, warm it in the microwave and touch it for a couple of seconds on the "problematic" ear. Make sure it is not too hot, check like a baby milk bottle. It takes a while but it gets better. After about 4 months we realized we don't need the sock anymore :)

20. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Kk thanks will try today ! Will minute rice work lol?

21. Marina & Chico

haha i am sure it will do :)

Roxy450 likes this.
  22. Hercule's mum

No, you didn't do anything wrong. It is very normal for newly diagnosed kitties to jump back up after spending sometime in lower BG numbers. We call this, "bouncing", and you will see lots of kitties bouncing around. Most eventually learn to be in lower number and stop bouncing.

Measuring 2 hours after shooting with Lantus is sually helpful to detrmine if kitty is going to dive, or likely to stay stable or go up. So you may want to meassure Money at +2 when you can and see if you see clear patterns. With Hercules, because he is a diver, I know that if the +2 is the same or less than AMPS, I need to start feeding him because he will be diving.... If it much higher, It is usually a "bouncy day", and if it is a tad higher, I measure again at +3.

23. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

I tested at +1.40 and she’s at 270

24. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Re: poking: I poke Ruby's right ear everyday because she prefers it. :) When I try her left one she moves it, so I go up and down the edge of her right ear, poking in different places each time. It gets easier once Money gets used to the routine, and the rice sock is a great thing. I give Ruby a message around her head and under her chin before I warm her ear. She enjoys the warm massage and purrs, especially when it's cold and rainy outside like it is here today.

Roxy450 likes this.
  25. Summer and Susie (GA)

I do the same thing, Katherine, but it is Susie's left ear. This way I can hold her ear with my left hand and test with my right. If I don't hold her left ear she will shake her head and blood goes everywhere. I also move the testing area up and down the edge of her ear so I am not poking in the same area all the time.

Emily + Zen and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  26. Summer and Susie (GA)

You did absolutely nothing wrong. The "bouncing" is a big part of this game. It can be very frustrating but it is the liver trying to protect the body from numbers it is not familiar with.

27. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Pmps 180 should I still give full dose ?

28. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You've had similar preshots in the past. Are you able to test up to +3 or +4 before you go to bed to see where the cycle is going?

29. Summer and Susie (GA)

30. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

+3 yes !! I won’t be able at + 4.. if +3 is low I will have to test again ?

31. Christie & Maverick

Yes, if the cycle is trending downward, it would be good to get additional tests.

32. Christie & Maverick

If you haven't fed yet, why don't you get another test in about 10 minutes, and see what that number is before deciding.

33. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Thanks everyone ! Fed and shot allready !! I’m wondering because this amps was low so I shot and tested +2+4 and numbers were still high so I thought she was bouncing and that we would have a high day … stopped testing but pmps was 180 so I’m thinking maybe she did go low after …?

34. Christie & Maverick

Okay, let's see where you are at +2.

35. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

*2 /162

36. Christie & Maverick

I'd suggest feeding a tsp or two of LC food, and test again at +3. Depending on that test, if you need to go out afterward, what's the next test you can get after +3?

37. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Thanks @Christie & Maverick I cancelled my plans fir the night and will test again at nadir . I gave her a 1/4 can ff pate. Should I test sooner ?

38. Bandit's Mom

Hi Roxanne, did you get any tests after that +2?

39. Roxy450

Roxy450 Member

Hey @Bandit's Mom i just tested at +6 / 90

Emily + Zen and Bandit's Mom like this.
  40. Bandit's Mom

Nice to green on this dose. Feed some LC and call it a night. :)

Emily + Zen and Roxy450 like this.