? 6/14, Susie, A Frank Discussion Is Needed. See Post #8.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Jun 14, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-13-susie-334-amps-okay-to-increase-tomorrow.248554/

Increased to 2.50 units. Trying to find that dose that will bring her down to low blues and high greens.

Question: If Susie's nadir is usually occurring at +3 should I be feeding all her daytime and nighttime food by +3 in the am and pm cycles? I hate for her to go for some many other hours without any food but if this helps the numbers I can try it. I know I will need to get a test or two more early in her pm cycle. Maybe 3 pm test until I see what she is doing at night. :arghh:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase Summer, hope it brings back better numbers :bighug:

Chico nadirs by +1.5 we feed him his last meal at +6. In my understanding you don't want to feed them too close to the end of the cycle but if they start receiving enough insulin, some food at +6 shouldn't cause an increase from green to yellow values. In other words, in my opinion, you don't have to feed Susie only until +3, find a reasonable schedule that keeps her satisfied and doesn't influence the preshots too much.

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Marina. I have been feeding 1 oz l/c at AMPS, +3 and +6. Then at PMPS, +2 and +5. This schedule should not influence the preshots and Susie has been content (but always hungry) with this. I think I will stay on this schedule as I don't like to make her go for too many hours without feeding. Your Chico certainly Nadirs early. So strange as you would think the insulin was barely onsetting at that time.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new dose.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  5. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Can i ask you if she is losing excessive weight? That is our guide for deciding if the amount of food given to Chico is sufficient. If he maintains his weight week after week, we know he gets sufficient even though he might seem hungry, if he is losing weight without it being our goal, we increase the amount of food .

A couple of months ago @SashaV told us that her vet gave her as a guideline 100g per week as a max weight loss goal. Anything above it is excessive.

Weight Susie every week and that should be a good enough indicator of whether she is eating enough or not. If she maintains her weight (provided it is a healthy weight) you know she gets enough food and is just craving for more, just like all of us would love to get more :D

Sounds reasonable :)

He does nadir early, actually lately he started shifting his nadir to +2 and sometimes (very rarely though) he even nadirs at +4. I remember some time ago @Gill & George told me that early nadirs usually mean that he is not done with this dose, that's why we make all the effort not to let him go under 50 too soon.

Gill & George likes this.
  6. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you Carla and Pamela!

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

I need to know what is going on with Susie. She has had three increases in Lantus since 6/6. I need to know all the possible reasons why her numbers continue to go up. These are the ones I am aware of:

#1 Glucose Toxicity
    #2 Bad Insulin
    #3 An underlying medical condition
    #4 A need for a different insulin

I would think that if it were glucose toxicity she would not have done so well at the end of May but what do I know. I want to hear all the possible reasons for this struggle to get her in better numbers. Please advise me because this is getting really frustrating and I am worried about her.

9. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

I know your frustration I've been there. But you increased dose this morning? it can take up to three days before you may notice her numbers improve. If not you may have to increase dose again. Until you find that magic dose.
    If Molly is happy and playing eating and drinking using litter box. I know that she is fine but alot of higher numbers can be her asthma or constipation.
    Hang in there ;)

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think because you never got her into consistently low-to-mid blue preshots the glucose toxicity "won". You were making good headway and I think that last reduction was just too soon, so now you have to chase the dose up again until you get some movement.

I don't think it's bad insulin because you can see it's still dropping her numbers and you're getting the same duration.

It could be underlying condition but she's still at a fairly low dose for me to lean that way.

You could try changing insulin, but I don't think it'll matter, she still needs more insulin. Look at the game I played - literally, every main insulin for cats) - and it was basically just lost time, he just needed higher dose.

Bandit's Mom and Hercule's mum like this.
  11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Adrienne. Patients Pants time.

Adrienne & Molly (GA) and FrostD like this.
  12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yeah, I did see where you have tried just about all the insulins. Let me know how Mr. Kitty does with the Lev. I know it might take some time to really see a difference - if you are going to. Thank you, Melissa, and good luck with Mr. Kitty, his new insulin and the unfortunate new diagnosis. I can tell that you are a fighter and have the brains to beat anything that comes your way.

13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Known fact: patience pants get shorter the more blues and greens you see, and then lose :confused: (I would know lol)

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thank you :bighug:

You'll get there with Susie, just hang in there!

15. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Summer, what a rough week. You know I'm not an expert around here, but I can't help but 1) agree with the above statements about those horridly uncomfortable patience pants and 2) wonder if it might be worth it (if nothing else, for peace of mind) to get some fresh labs, just to be sure. We can make educated deductions, but data is always the best way for definitive answers. :bighug: If you're trying to avoid yet another vet visit (I know I am), then I 100% agree (but again, take it with a grain of salt): patience pants. Those ugly little gouchos.

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Says the lady doing an OTJ trial after 2.5 months :joyful:

17. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

My patience pants are shorter than most. :joyful::joyful::joyful: