6/2 Max AMPS 212 +2.5 217

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Yesterday https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-1-max-amps-240-2-5-148.278145/#post-3076628

In case anyone is interested, I sent an email to the vet about the black stools Max is having. I know the most common cause is bleeding in the upper GI tract. I know some meds can cause it. Max is on a lot of meds, but none of them list that as a side effect. What I don’t know is if pancreatitis or IBD could cause this in cats? I was hoping that someone else who has gone through this would have shared their experience last night. I can’t stand the thought of something worse.

He’s not as playful as usual but I can understand that. He did come up to me and “make biscuits” on my robe this morning while I was having my coffee. I love that and love him so much.

I will be out for a couple of hours later this morning for an appointment. Hopefully I will hear back from the vet today.

Mikanmama and Deb and Sylvester like this.
  2. Max & Lori

Max’s vet just called and has prescribed Carafate so I will go pick that up after I finish at the salon (head full of foils right now). Hope this med will help him. I’ve never used it for a pet. I’m not sure if it will affect his BG or not. Anyway that’s what the plan is.

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  3. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

Good morning Lori,

I'm so sorry that Max is having issues. I know carafate is for GI/ tummy upset, but I do recall my Vet not prescribing it for Luigi ( he had IBS) because she was worried about it possibly causing constipation.

Was his poop normal, or hard?

Luigi would have frank blood on his BMs sometimes, from the lower GI. Usually when I thought his stool looked dark, I'd take a sample for them to check for occult blood.

I have been using Slippery Elm bark for tummy upsets for about 6 months with my guys.

I wish I had more information. Just double check with the Vet about the carafate, in the instance that Max's poops are a little dry to make sure it won't exacerbate anything.

Max & Lori likes this.
  4. Max & Lori

@Deb and Sylvester thanks for your response. That is a good point about the constipation. I am familiar with Carafate because I gave it when I worked in the hospital for mostly bleeding ulcers (stomach). It coats and lines the GI tract. I understood my vet to say that because his poop is black, there could be some severe inflammation and bleeding of the upper GI tract because of all that’s going on with Max (pancreatitis, IBD). When I picked it up just a while ago, I asked about potential constipation and she said she strongly recommended that Max take it so hopefully the inflammation can heal. She said I could give him lactulose or Miralax if he started to get constipated. With Max’s IBD he goes from one extreme to another with constipation and diarrhea. Right now though the poops are normal except they are black. She said to monitor his gums to make sure he wasn’t looking pale. That could mean a severe GI bleed and he would need to go to the ER.

Max has an allergy to slippery elm unfortunately. I’ve tried it twice and he had an immediate asthma attack afterwards so I’m afraid to try it again. I actually threw it out after the second time.

Bottom line is I’ve got to find a diet that will work for him. I’m so nervous about going out of town. I hope he will be better by then. Problem with going to ER vets is they don’t know Max and all of his issues so I’d rather be closer to home. Anyone who knows me, knows how I love the ocean but for me to want to stay home should say how worried I am about Max. Thanks for your comments. I guess I was just looking for some support to calm me down a bit.

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  5. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

@Max & Lori

Yeah Luigi had the same extremes with his BM, he would have bouts of colitis and then backed up the next week.

Oh that's scary about the SEB, thank goodness you know about that, and have Constulose and Miralax as a backup.

I hope the meds help Max and he's back to himself in no time!

Max & Lori likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the new medicine helps Max. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Max & Lori likes this.
  7. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

((((Lori @Max & Lori ))))) So you are planning on taking a vacation trip and now this? I am so sorry to hear it. I don't have experience with the med your vet prescribed. Did he actually see something to indicate the GI bleed, did he examine the poop? I can imagine you are freaking out, I would be too. And I know Max has you on your toes already, so my heart goes out to you. I hope and pray the med helps poor little buddy Max. Sending my strongest healing vibes for him and you.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Max & Lori likes this.
  8. Max & Lori

Hi Ruth, thank you. I hope Max can get better soon. We are supposed to go on vacation next week. Max has good days and bad but lately he’s had quite a few days he’s felt bad. This latest thing started with a lot of drooling. I mean a lot. It was just dripping from his mouth. He’s already on cerenia and Zofran for nausea. I wondered if something was wrong inside of his mouth so I took him to be checked out at his vets office. She said teeth and mouth are fine. Labs indicated pancreatitis so we started bupe in addition to the other meds and small amounts of subQ fluids. His BUN was elevated also and potassium was on the lower end of normal. A couple of days later he had a poop that was not just dark, but black. Then the next day the same happened twice, but it was more like tarry black. It was very alarming. I called the vet and told her about it, and she had me come get the Carafate to cover him just in case of GI bleeding. It’s hard getting it into him. He doesn’t like it at all, but I’ve managed to get two doses in. The poop is still dark, but doesn’t seem as black to me. The vet didn’t have me bring a sample in so it wasn’t checked for occult blood. She suspects that because she thinks he’s having such a bad flare of pancreatitis/IBD. I haven’t seen him feel this bad since he was diagnosed with acromegaly. I hope it’s nothing worse going on, I just have a sick feeling in my stomach. He isn’t acting like himself at all now. He’s also getting picky about his food and never has been like that. I’ve been watching him carefully. It’s hard to see him feeling so bad. I wish I could help him more. Just trying to stay positive. Thanks again for your concern though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023