6/2 Newman Lots of stalling both AM and PM -

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Shelley & Jess likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Okay. Just got your email. I will check out his spreadsheet.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m not sure what the problem is. Tell me how you are feeling about things. 2 units still looks like a good dose for him. Or do you not think so? You have shot some lower yellow preshots before— and Newman did well. Are you getting tired of stalling? More recently, the blues that you’ve gotten have been very good. Look back at some of the past history for this 2 unit dose and see what you think.

Today, I think if you had shot 2 units it would have been fine. Probably a lower blue which would have been okay.

None of this is criticism and I am not trying to be obscure. I am just trying to figure out where you’re coming from— I know you have had to be out a lot during the day lately.

4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I'm seeing increasingly frequent BG values that call for stalling and it makes me wonder if there is a reason for this and ultimately if a dose adjustment is in order?

Looking back over the last 10 days, I have had to stall 9 times. Compare that to the 10 days prior to that, where there was only 1 instance requiring stalling.

I as well, was thinking that 2 units was a good dose until this trend, as I called it, for stalling seems to be increasing. I don't know what that could mean. Is he going too low and not coming back up as he had been doing? Is the insulin lasting longer, extending the cycle? Or maybe neither of those and we just don't know.

I do recall that somewhere in the previous thread, I determined and decided I didn't want to shoot any preshots lower than 240.

I wouldn't say that I'm getting tired of stalling, but I do prefer to maintain a routine. You know, when I have to delay Newman's food, I also have to hold off on Ozzie and Minnie.

So, I would say I am asking if there is an obvious reason for this "trend". Then, can it be handled any other way but repeated stalling and delay? Or is that the only alternative.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m still thinking about this so there will be more to come. But I don’t think he’s dropping too low at night or we would be seeing a lot more bouncy numbers in the morning.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

You shot a 240 with 2 units and his lowest recorded BG was 177.

Lower preshots are usually considered desirable. I think it’s a good sign of progress. Newman can sometimes be a little unpredictable though, so I get it.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Look at May 12-15. No stalling and 2 units shot. Good cycles with blues.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Options (by no means all) include: only do one stall so that you don’t throw your morning feeding schedule off by too much. If BG isn’t up to where you have data to support shooting 2 units (or other circumstances such as afternoon appointments are in play) shoot a reduced dose based on the BG. I only suggest this because I see that occasionally you have stalled several times. There’s nothing wrong with that, but if you want to stay on schedule that day then don’t wait too long.

You can set the threshold at 240 if you want to, although you have shot 2 units at less than 240 in the past and it was fine.

I think if you actually reduce his standard dose back down to 1.75 at this point, you will see few, if any, blues. Of course, on certain days it may be necessary, as mentioned above.

9. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I thinking about is too, and my thoughts are not much different than your thoughts.

I didn't mean for you to come up with an answer tonight. I was, and I am very interested in your thoughts. Thank you and can we continue this tomorrow or at your convenience?

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Sure. It’s no problem. I just kept thinking and thinking and looking at his spreadsheet on this dose. I do think he’s doing amazingly well and I am pleased with his nadirs overall. But you are the one who has to deal with it every day!

11. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I continue to look at his history, time and time again, and your input helps me focus.

I kept thinking that the 2 units was working so well and I think I started to overthink the lower preshot numbers with too much analysis. I can see that some of those stall days, perhaps my test timing was not as tight as it could be.

I think my physical limitations play a part in the feeling of panic. Fear that if something goes bad and I can't help him. So what would be bumps in the road to most people, I see as the start of the proverbial slippery slope! Deep breath here. :)

Well enough of that. As you will see, Newman presented this morning with an AMPS @ 300.

I can't thank you enough.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Wow. I see today you shot that 233 with no stall and 2 units. It worked out well today for sure with those nice blues. That may be a comfortable area where you can shoot the 2 units (230-240) without a stall? I was just looking over everything since we last talked and you are doing your usual excellent job of caring for Newman.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

I still want to talk to you about the bottom round roast though ;-) more on that in a PM.

14. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks Suzanne. I felt pretty comfortable with the 233, so close to my self imposed 240 and in looking back there have been other times when the first test was 233 , plus or minus, and he seems to always be on the rise. It just felt safe and, there is a period of time between testing and shooting to accommodate our situation during which I believed his BG would be rising, so I went ahead.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Linda! You do need to post more just so I can say hi more often. I think you handled this morning’s blue numbers just fine. He was rising but still in blue.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  16. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi Suzanne and thanks to you and @Shelley & Jess for looking in on us.