6/23 Mr Tinkles

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Laurie and Mr Tinkles, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

It has been a busy couple of days, not much time to post, so here's an update.

Tinkles' PS #s have been generally high since the hypo, so he did end up with a rebound reaction. I tinkered with the dose a little, trying to get better duration, etc. but I know it will just take time to settle down. I did shoot early on a zoom up, to get back on schedule, which was important to do. I realized that another contributing factor to the hypo event was that his shots and feeding schedule were out of sync.

amps 530 1.3u
    +3 354
    +5 192
    +7 116
    +8 101

Todays numbers look much improved so far, so maybe we are getting back on track now. I know that's a big drop, but hopefully he will weather it well as usual. I have to say that he has been acting like he feels great, even with the high numbers. So, there's the argument for not judging how a cat is doing on insulin by behavior!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad he is doing better now. I have to wonder about the big drop, if that is just the nature of this insulin? As I see the big drop with Blue 200 points or so in 3 hours.

Honestly, if it were my cat, I would change to lantus, if only to avoid the big drop and have a nice smooth steady surf/drop instead. That's the thing with lantus, the flatness of it.

3. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Thanks Hillary, I'm glad too! You know, I was pretty frustrated for a while with the ProZinc, it took me a while to figure it out. I was thinking about switching, but wanted to give the PZ a fair chance. I know there are a ton of people who are using Lantus, and love it. It wouldn't work too well for me though, I need flexibility in my schedule, another reason I really wanted to stay with the PZ.

I'm really happy with ProZinc, now that we are past the 45 day point. It actually works great for him, he has been doing a lot of surfing the blues and greens, and hasn't had much of a drop most of the time. When he does get a big drop, it's a good thing; it's when his PS #s are high, and he drops into good #s. It doesn't seem to bother him, he does it gradually. Blue seems to drop like a rock, I'm surprised he doesn't zoom back up!

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Laurie & Tinkles! Wow, you've had some crazy numbers, huh. Looks like you're starting to settle back in to some good numbers. Not sure why he's hitting those reds though confused_cat Does Mr. Tinkles have a stash of kitty treats or FF hidden somewhere, haha

Sorry, I haven't been around. I am dealing with my other furbaby that's not doing to well. :sad: She has some liver issues and I have to force feed her lately. Anyway, Have a great day and tell Tinkles to give mama some good numbers. :smile:

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Hi Michelle & Prudence! I suspect the reds are because of the cortisol released when he went hypo. It takes a few days to get out of his system from what I've read, so I wasn't surprised by it. He seems to be getting past it now, his ps#s are improving every cycle.

I have to be very vigilant about the FF and dog food....he definitely tries to go clean up behind my civvies when they walk away from their bowls so I have to be on duty to thwart his attempts! I've deputized my DD and DH too! :lol: I don't think he has figured out how to get the tops of the cans yet, but if he ever does, I'm in trouble!

I'm sorry to hear about your other furbaby's liver issues. :sad: I hope she'll be on the mend soon and eating on her own. It must be so nervewracking when they won't eat! I haven't had to deal with that yet, I've been lucky.

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

ick! red!!! cat(2)_steam

I would hold the 1.3 for another day or two and then move on up if it were me. This is the same pattern we encountered when we dropped too quickly. (Though you didn't drop down the dose nearly as much as we did) - I was hoping the 1.2 would keep you guys out of that situation!

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

I think the icky reds are going to be history now (paws crossed!) and I did decide to stick with the 1.3u for at least one more cycle. I don't want to rush to increase and overshoot the mark! He looks good so far this cycle.

I'm glad I didn't go down to 1u, it just would have taken longer to get back on track. The 1.2u was perfect. Your insight was right on, Kelly! :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.