6-25 Cody AMPS 370, +7.5 204

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Well he finally got nervous, and reacted with a bounce. I suspected he was going lower overnight last night, but wasn't able to catch the number. It probably wasn't anything dangerous, just not in his comfort zone.

Nadir today a bit disappointing- next time I'll probably try to hold the dose, unless I see a green--

why haven't they discovered a 24hr BS monitor for kitties? (one that is not named Nancy) confused_cat

Back to 13 u tonight. Tonight I will try to catch +7.5

2. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Do you get any sleep?? We've had late nights about every three nights. I need to buy a new alarm clock and set for the +6 (around Midnight). But, it appears you're up quite a bit. I was curious what a good number is for Cody? I noticed you feed in the mid-200's, so thinking he has a history of dropping. Or, maybe he's getting little snacks at regular intervals. 370 to 204...I'm still finding it amazing the variance in numbers for these kitties. Bryce has them, as well...just trying to find a pattern (my nature), but that's not going to happen.

Wanted to say hi...hang in there....hope you get some sleep this weekend.

3. Nancy and Cody

Hi Debbie,
    Lately has been a bit crazy because he's recently switched to levemir from Prozinc, and we started at a 1/2 dose for safety (14 prozinc down to 7 levemir) and flew back up again to try to find his right dose. As soon as we saw the first blue we started holding 13u. Its been a crash course in a very different insulin. His shed is still filling so now he is getting better numbers each day on the 13u dose. The last 2 nights I guess he must have gone lower than he was used to, and finally bounced, thus the 370 and 345. He rarely goes that high so we knew it was a bounce.

Cody gets 1/4 cup of food ( a 2 day mix of canned, cooked chicken, broth and miralax) every 4 hours around the clock. I have a timed feeder for when I'm asleep or gone. I feel like feeding equal amounts regularly keeps him less (acro) desperate for food and more settled, and I'm hoping it keeps our numbers more level & predictable.

I guess our goal for good numbers are preshots around 230+/- and nadir around 130+/- . For 3 years he's been in the 250-400's, so this is new territory. Were getting there I hope. Carolyn is helping me.

And I am retired from working as a PT, so I'm more flexible with my schedule, but yes, I'm needing this intense phase to end. I'm going away in a couple weeks and really want his safe dose figured out ASAP.

4. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hi Nancy -

Very interesting. Thanks for all the info. The regular feeding is a great thing to do. We've been working with Dr. Lisa, and she's a strong proponent of small, frequent meals. We've altered things quite a bit since March. Bryce gets fed six times a day now with the help of a timed feeder. Second feeder that she (now) cannot break into. She gets 1/2 c FF at 5:30 am & 7:30 am, 1/4 c at 1pm, 1/2 c at 5:30 pm, 1/2 c at 9:15 pm and ~30 calories of blanched chicken at 1:00 am. Total of ~220 calories right now, but with a couple of HC feeds throughout the week, that # is certainly higher.

I'm curious about the Miralax. I take it and I know what it does to me. :lol: Is it the same OTC Miralax or a special one for kitties?

And, thanks for the "goal" numbers. I hadn't put a "number" around it, but wanted to....very helpful. We're not where we want to be either, but getting there. Bryce bounced this morning (guess that's what it is)...AMPS 303 & 322 +3 after her 2nd breakfast. She got her Enalapril as well.

Well, have a good day. I'm trying to get better at checking the "board", but do not get to it as much as I should. I enjoy talking with you and the others. I feel as though there are some similarities with our kitties. Maybe it's the SS #'s and the heart med...I don't know.

Deb

5. Nancy and Cody

This is Cody's second feeder also- hasn't broken in YET :lol: :lol:

It is the same miralax you take. Here is an excerpt from a recent post I made:

"First, I wanted to address the constipation issue.
    My cat, Cody after being a poorly controlled diabetic for years, developed megacolon, (the poorly controlled sugar dehydrates kitties which can make them severely constipated and their insides feel like they have bananas inside). This became a worse problem than the diabetes. Over a year I tried :
    lactulose
    pumpkin
    cisapride from a compounding pharmacy
    metaclopramide
    vaseline orally
    mineral oil orally
    extra fluids in food-
    subcutaneous fluids
    hairball treats (vaseline)
    vet enemas
    manual extraction under sedation

When I came here folks suggested MIRALAX. I asked my vet, she approved, and now that is pretty much a problem of the past.
    My point is there is more experience here than you can believe... and these folks care about your acrocat.... By the way, if you are interested in the Miralax, it is available at the grocery store, is tasteless, and is sprinkled on the food in measured quantity. It draws water into the colon, so the poop stays soft. It requires extra water in the diet and or via sub Q fluids. Every cat is different but, Cody uses 1/4 teaspoon to every 5.5oz can of food. It takes several days to work its way through the intestines, and may causes liqipoo until you figure out the right dose for Duncan.

BTW< I always wondered if the lactulose affected our numbers- it is a synthetic sugar, and there are label warnings for human diabetics using it."

6. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Wow! That's amazing what you've gone through, and what you've learned from it. Bryce, fortunately, does not need Miralax, but it is great information to have under our belts. Yes, I understand that the knowledge on the "board" is bar-none...the best. Again, thanks for all the info. Bryce still bouncing with some high numbers, but doing fine. Hungry, as usual, but fine. Hope you and Cody are doing well tonight.

7. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Interesting reading. I'm glad there is some discussion and sharing. I hope both your babies are well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.