6/26 Henry C, AMPS=400+, +4=256

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Roxana & Henry, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Roxana & Henry

Roxana & Henry Member

Previously on 6/23

Happy Sunday everyone!

We had the Libre 2 sensor placed at vet yesterday and despite my expectations to have the BG increase due to stress it actually decreased to a nice low blue. Last night I thought we would get green or lime and strangely enough despite starting PMPS in blue, it did not really worked out as I thought it would.

Libre 2 is a disappointment so far. Numbers over 400 show HI so you have no idea if it is 400 or 700. The reader constantly loses signal with the sensor despite being less than 10 fee apart so alarms will not work. I will have to try the phone instead of the reader, it may be better. The Libre 2 has been on HI the whole morning even at +4 despite FSL and AT being lower. Maybe I got a dud but seemed to work yesterday ok.

With the lime on 6/20 and half a dose on 6/22 - not sure whether to keep the 4.75 to fill back the depot or go up to 5. Please advise.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

This is the 8th cycle of 4.75U after the token dose. Enough time for the depot to rebuild. See what he does today and if you don't get green, you might be good to go back up to 5U tomorrow. Feeding a little after every test in active cycles can prevent a dip below 50. If you can keep him on a good dose by feeding the curve, you want to do that.

@tiffmaxee
    @Wendy&Neko (not sure she will be around today)

Roxana & Henry likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Bhooma. What do you think?

4. Roxana & Henry

Roxana & Henry Member

Thank you for the quick reply Bhooma and Elise. You are both are so wonderful :bighug:. So do 4.75 tonight and if no green today or tonight, do the 5 units tomorrow morning. Did I get that right? I can do that. I am feeding the curve in active cycles multiple times. When he had the lime I fed him 13% carbs constantly and still went low. Had to do MC and syrup to get him up to safety (and yay it worked). May need to do HC instead of MC in those crazy cycles early in the cycle that is. He does what he wants when he wants it and likes to keep me on my toes lol. Every time I try to predict what will happen he is like - no - just changed my mind lol. I am good with the 5 units tomorrow.

5. alio

alio Member

Interesting about the reader losing signal so easily. I guess for humans it isn't an issue cause you are mostly going to carry it with you. I found the phone would stay connected pretty decently though it would lose signal if I was in the basement and Cinna was upstairs.

I have found it takes at least a day or two for the Libre to settle down and give mostly good numbers. I think it even says something about that in the instructions, like the first 12 hrs are not super reliable; my experience was more like the first 12 - 48 hrs, but, I only used 2 of them so not a great data set. I've also heard it doesn't do great at higher BG levels.

If it's really acting weird you could try contacting the manufacturer for a replacement - they apparently are pretty good about that. Just don't mention it's on a cat, they apparently won't ask either.

6. tiffmaxee

Sounds good. What level carbs do you have?

7. Roxana & Henry

Roxana & Henry Member

The question is what level of carbs I do not have? I bought the entire Petco recently lol spent my weekend labeling cans with carbs percentage and calories. From 0% to 29% I must have the whole collection. But Henry is so picky drives me crazy. Should have seen him yesterday when I tossed some old kibble. He smelled it and was like a drug addict lol. Gave him some Ziwi air dried to satisfy his dry food cravings.

John & Henry likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

So funny.

9. John & Henry

John & Henry Member

Just my limited experience on the libre 2 so far (almost 3 days now). Sometimes the numbers are close between 70-200 (after the first 24 hours) check out my SS to see how close, but almost the whole time I was in the 300s yesterday the libre read either HI or 400, so that was a bit disappointing. I've had it disconnect a couple times despite being less than 20 feet away with only 1 wall (indoor) wall in between, so yeah not great there either. Can't really compare it to the old libre since I've never used it. Did the old libre have an alarm function too? Supposedly the libre 3 which will be out soon sends the data to your phone without the need to scan it, so that will be nice, especially for people that want to monitor their kitties BG while out of the house. I was pleasantly surprised the pharmacy only charged me $30, I thought they were like $150. Hope you and your Henry are doing well :)

Edit: wanted to be clear, your phone would have to be in range to get the data from the libre 3 but technically you should be able to use either another phone that stays at the house or maybe the reader as a "gateway" that pushes data to your phone remotely while your out and about.

10. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Hope it is okay for me to put in my two cents here. I love the Libre 2 for its alarms. However, I have had one Libre and one Libre 2 conk out on me in the first several days. When you call the Abbott labs number, they literally say "if you need a replacement, press 2" or a similar message. It seems a very common problem. They have replaced the sensors promptly but I don't think these things are of the highest quality control.

When you talk to the agent, they don't ask if it is for an animal, just whether you are the user or the caregiver. I mean...we are all caregivers, right? They have required me to name the user, and luckily Benny has a human name. :D

John & Henry and Roxana & Henry like this.
  11. Roxana & Henry

Roxana & Henry Member

I only had one sensor die out immediately after placement i think the tech did a poor job installing it. The others have all worked. The 14 day sensor. My vet placed them and they lasted mostly the whole 14 days. My experience with the Libre 14 days so far is that AT is the highest, followed by the Libre followed by the FSL. The experience though limited seems to be different with Libre 2 where it is higher than AT but this is at high numbers. It seems at lower numbers it is the opposite from what I have seen here on FDMB. Either way, switched from Libre 14 days to Libre 2 for the alarms. The sensor was free through the Abbot site (since it was the first one). Picked it up at Walgreens. Would have been 38 with Good RX vs 45 for Libre 14 days. Strange that the Libre 2 is cheaper. No complaints there. The numbers have gone down now from 400 and more in range to what I expect it to be. Sounds like these sensors require a lot of patience which I am not great at having lol.

Ben&Squirrel and John & Henry like this.
  12. Roxana & Henry

Roxana & Henry Member

no, the free libre 14 days is the original libre and no alarms hence the libre 2. The libre at high numbers are closer to the AT pet meter and less to the human meters. I noticed that as well for the Libre 14 days. I am surprised your Nova was 37 while Libre was 52 but in a way makes sense because the Libre is supposedly 6-7 min behind the regular meter. my experience so far is that the libre reads much lower when under 100. I trust all meters as much as I can but have the FSL (human), Libre sensor and the AT (pet meter) so that I don't have a heart attack when the numbers are 50 or less in the future (had a couple of those lol). If you compare a few human meters when they are in the 40 or 50s I bet there will be variances. I have a small collections of meters and experienced a bit :) I am looking forward for the Libre 3. I hope it will be as convenient as accurate.

Ben&Squirrel and John & Henry like this.
  13. John & Henry

John & Henry Member

From the few reports out of Europe on the Libre 3, they're more convenient and smaller (size of 2 pennys stacked), but unfortunately, not particularly accurate :(

Ben&Squirrel and Roxana & Henry like this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

BG readings of 400 or 700 are both "too high", does it really matter the exact number? You wouldn't do anything different with the TR protocol if it was one or the other.

15. Roxana & Henry

Roxana & Henry Member

True, but it is nice to see trends if the numbers are decreasing from 700 to 500 and how fast, is it in the first hour or two vs no decrease at all. Just for peace of mind. Seeing those big numbers is very depressing but seeing they at least go down a little makes it less so. But agreed, all very high regardless.