6/27 Jimmy's amps 177

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by angela&jimmycat, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angela&jimmycat

angela&jimmycat Member

Jimmy tested 177 just now. We double checked that number too. We did not give Jimmy his shot. I'm headed off to work and will come home to retest in about 4-5 hours. This low of number was a real surprize. I was not prepared for what to do now....

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Since you won't be home to test - in the future you might give a token dose just to keep insulin in his system. Like 1u or even 0.5u. I definitely would not have given the whole 2.5u because of the drastic difference in preshot numbers from what you usually get.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That's an awesome #!!! Since you don't have much data yet on stuff like that, your plan makes sense to me. If it comes up again you can shoot a smaller dose like Kelly said, or also you can try retesting in maybe 20 minutes (if you have time) and if the # is rising and getting near your no-shoot (200?) then you can go ahead and shoot. I would still reduce the dose at least a little though in this case - you got a late drop/breakthrough, which means this dose might be a hair too high.

Once you are back on schedule I would probably try 2.25 for a couple days - if the #s aren't good, then I would go back to 2.5, and then hopefully get ready for the next breakthrough. If you are home to monitor you can go ahead and shoot a full dose on a PS like this and then try testing at maybe +2 and +4 to make sure there isn't too much drop, and if there is, feed LC to counter-act it. Or you can try a reduced dose, maybe 2.25, and try to get some spot tests to see how that is working. If you can't be home to monitor, personally I'd shoot less, maybe 2u or something, whatever you feel comfortable with.

It's hard not to reduce too much and then lose ground - that's what I did with Bix - ultimately he turned out to be a kitty who needs the full dose even on lower PSs. But personally I think it's good to reduce at least a little and collect data.

I'd probably shoot the full dose though when you give the next shot, since it will be a few hours late and overlap will be lost. Unless that puts you way off schedule for morning, in that case I'd probably shoot a smaller dose today, then shoot a couple hours early tonight, again a smaller dose, and then again a couple hours early in the morning to get back on schedule, and probably a slightly smaller dose then as well, to account for the increased overlap you might get at a +10 shot.

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Not shooting today was completely understandable! I would have done the same thing if I had never been in that position before! Not shooting is better than shooting too much insulin on a low ps#, so it's ok. Yes, next time I would give at least a token dose, but since you are at 2.5u, I would have shot 2.25u. Remember, small adjustments, big effects. You have had some ps#s that weren't that much higher than this, 252 on 6/21, and you shot the 2.5u dose. He got a nice blue 132 that time at +4, but then he zoomed up from there. This is why I think your dose may be too high. Now that you got a low ps#, you can see that the 2.5u dose is getting some action, and maybe his liver is calming down a little. Since you didn't shoot today, his numbers will probably be high tonight so I would shoot 2.5u tonight. Then tomorrow, I would lower to 2.25u and hold it there for several days UNLESS you see a low ps# like this morning or a low nadir. If that happens, then you need to decrease the dose on the next shot. The reason to lower it is that you are getting too much duration on 2.5u, hence the low ps#. If you had been doing a curve, his nadir would have been very late...too high a dose. Don't worry if you see wacky numbers (high, flat curve) for a few cycles after you decrease, that happens with ProZinc. I think he's getting used to the ProZinc, and better numbers are on the way. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.