6/30/10 - Fiona IAA update

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Sharyn & Fiona, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Hiya! Just wanted to drop in and give an update on Fiona mainly as info for anyone else dealing w/IAA.

We're down to 17u Lantus BID from a high of 29u in Nov 2009. She was on quite a reduction roll for a while and then suddenly stalled. 16u seems to be a roadblock. We keep dancing around that number. Got down to 14u but had to go back up. It is nice being to use one syringe again, although I'm still splitting the dose and shooting in two different locations.

So it seems for Fiona that the IAA's wax and wane. Other than that she's doing well.

Here's her ss link, if interested:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... lQXc&hl=en

Not really a lot of info here, but since there's so little IAA info out there, I figure some is better than none. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm very busy starting my own rescue - Emerald Coast Animal Allies. Website will be up soon. Kitten season takes a lot of time - as many of you know.

Happy 4th of July!!!
    Sharyn & Fiona
    [​IMG]

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Sharyn!!!! Fiona-Balloonie!!! So good to hear from you guys! :mrgreen:

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Nice update and good to see you!

Enjoy your weekend!

dancing_cat

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hey! Hello!

Man, anything, and I mean anything, on IAA.. I'll take! There seems to be a fair number of acros, but IAA are few and far between. It's great to hear from another so I know Oliver is not so alone.

What a nice report! I hope you have an awesome weekend

5. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Hello, strangers! Glad to hear everything's ok, just busy. Miss you and Ms. Balloonie.

6. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Forgot to mention that when she's on the decrease Fiona is pretty much in a constant state of Somogyi. She's definitely getting too much insulin and bouncing all over the place but such is the nature of the IAA beast.

I've also found that we can only decrease in .5u increments, even though we increased by 1.0u most of the time. Each time I've tried 1.0u decreased she's stalled. I think I've tried it 3 times. But that might not be the same for all kitties. Fiona has a very slow metabolism.

Heather & Boo sent me a link to a really good explanation of IAA that someone posted here in January. Very well written. It might have been in one of your condos Gayle. lol! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4646&p=45837#p45837

We tried switching to Levemir once but Fiona had a reaction possibly to the insulin. She was having a hard time breathing for hours, panting. It was scary. She also had a bout of cystitis at the same time. Might have been the pain? But she's had cystitis bouts since w/out the panting. It was too scary to try again. But that's one of the reasons why we didn't try a different insulin.

Nice to see you too, Nina, Carolyn and Heather! Sorry Oliver got the double whammy Gayle! That stinks!

Paws crossed for a big kitten adoption weekend!

7. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

It's great to see an update on Fiona, Sharyn. Congrats on the animal rescue venture!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.