? 6/30 Squeaks; AMPS 194--need dosing review/advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sugarkitty15, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Good morning!

So I have realized that we've been on .25U for quite a while at this point. We did have a 33 a few days ago and few readings in the 40's within the past weekish. His AMPS's are usually pretty high still (for him). It looks like we're bouncing around a lot, which isn't super normal. Any thoughts on his dosing? Should I just keep it at .25U?

Previous post for continuity
    ? - 6/8 Squeaks; AMPS 149-Dosing Question | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't give dosing advice. I'm here to offer support. He looks really good, Betsy. I wish Susie had his consistency with numbers. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Love his cute face.

Sugarkitty15 likes this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

A drop into the 30s usually warrants an immediate .25 unit reduction, leaving you not very much room to go. How about a reduction to .1 to see how Squeaks does? I know you've been there before. He needs insulin, but he also needs to be safe. Hopefully somebody else with more experience can chime in here.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Katherine. That 33 definitely screams reduction. I'd try 0.1 units for a bit and see how he does. Are you using calipers? If 0.1 unit doesn't work - hard to say if that will happen, a cat's insulin needs changes - calipers might help you get an in between dose that works.

5. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

@Wendy&Neko, I didn't get an email that I had comments on here and I completely forgot to check back in--so I'm just seeing this now. :arghh:
    Looking at his numbers, do you think I should still try a reduction to .1U? Forgive my ignorance, but what are calipers?

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Dosing with calipers is optional, but can help you get consistency.

Next time you see below 40, definitely try the decrease.

7. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thank you for the info!! Ok, that sounds like a plan, will definitely I try the decrease if/when we see that again.