6 Units of Insulin?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by NeilS, Aug 26, 2021.

1. NeilS

NeilS New Member

Hi, New member here

My cat has been on Caninsulin twice a day for a year. Following advice from the vet we've slowly increased her dosage, she was on 5.5 but after her most recent check up it has been increased to 6 units.

She's had a croaky cough and her breathing has become deep and wheezy. Her belly seems large, and tender when I touch it.

My cat lives with my parents so I don't have any exact numbers but think the last BG was 550.

Her feeding schedule is:

7:00 injection (fed 20 minutes before)
    10:30 fed
    13:30 fed
    19:00 injection (fed 20 minutes before)

She's fed Felix "as good as it gets", tuna, prescription diabetic biscuits.

She's ravenous most of the time and will always go looking for my other cats food, what would be a good feeding routine with another cat? Staggered times or a timed feeder?

I was considering taking to another vet for a second opinion as she seems to be getting worse.

Will be sure to buy a BG reader, what are the recommendations?

I've been reading a lot of posts and getting more of an understanding of how to look after my cat and to work with my parents to get her stable.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you mention Felix, I presume you are in the UK. Here's a post that gives guidelines on supplies there. I would also ask the vet to run a test for acromegaly, which is a condition caused by a benign tumour on the pituitary gland, that can cause some cats to need higher doses of insulin. And a pot belly and always being hungry. Fortunately for you, the Royal Vet Clinic is one of the best at treating this condition.

3. NeilS

NeilS New Member

She was taken to the vet and it does seem she has acro, not sure if the vet knows about the condition, but from what I've read on the forums the symptoms matches up.

Is it true cats can be insulin resistance if the dose is left the same for a long period? Would you recommend I increase the insulin without vet advice? She's been on 6 units for 2 months.

Thanks for the advice on Felix and food charts, what UK food would you recommend? The charts have so many I don't know where to start!

I also bought the GlucoNavi monitor to test her bloods.

Neil

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator