? 7/05 Jazzy AMPS 86.4 Dosing question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cheryl & Jazzy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Cheryl & Jazzy

Cheryl & Jazzy Well-Known Member

We did a curve for Jazzy yesterday. In the morning his dose was .5 units based on 118.8 AMPS. The PMPS was 82.8 so his dose was .25 units. This has been a pattern where, for probably about a month,I've adjusted the dose to what I think is appropriate based on his readings.
    My question is, is it best to keep on with this or is it best to skip doses completely and possibly have higher numbers for the next one. He seems to be doing well like this, but I don't know if it's "technically" correct.
    At what point should I skip doses completely to see if his body will regulate on its own? I'll never know if he can go into remission if i keep giving insulin. Is there a margin of numbers I should try and see if he would go into remission?
    Thanks for any input.

2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Cheryl - take a quick look at Tina's SS, starting on 11/8/19
    It is more technically correct, and gave me a lot of confidence at her doing well going off insulin.
    You do not base dose on before shot reading, and you do want to remain consistent with your dosing both day and night, unless a reduction is earned.
    Since you gave .25 this morning, hopefully you can stay with that dose until Jazzy asks for that next reduction - he is looking good!

Oh, and you don't always have to do the one drop dose; some come off insulin after the .1 dose (2 drops), and sometimes the .25 (??) I just wanted to be super-sure and feel good about 0 insulin.

Hope this helps some:)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Cheryl & Jazzy likes this.
  3. Cheryl & Jazzy

Wow, that's ALOT of testing. Awesome. Unfortunately it takes 2 of us to test Jazzy and there isn't always 2 people here to do it that many times every day. I wish he was easier .
    So with a dose of .5 yesterday the lowest number was 63. If I'm basing his dose on that number is .25 appropriate? And then .25 consistently regardless of his preshot number? I can do that for a week and then do another curve to see if any changes are necessary.
    I just don't want to administer too much and put him in danger or too little and have it be ineffective.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Reason for edit: Wasn't finished
  4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I'll admit it was easy testing Tina . . . and I am home based. Your Jazzy wants you to work a bit harder!

Something that needs stabilizing is the depot. With your doses changing frequently, there isn't a stable depot. And are you still trying SLGS or TR?

Thanks! Even with the lack of stable doses, the SS looks good and safe for your guy! I'd stick with the .25 and give every 12 hours. I'd love to see some other input ;)

5. Cheryl & Jazzy

I don't know much about TR so I'd have to research it more. I was just going slow. Thanks so much for your input I'll keep up with the .25 and see where he goes.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus dosing is based on how LOW it takes them, not the Pre-shot, so depending on which dosing method you're using (TR or SLGS) he either did or didn't earn a reduction today.

On SLGS, he would have earned a reduction when he dropped below 90 (which he has several times). On TR, you hold the dose unless he drops below 50.

The fact that you've changed his dose so much throws a wrench in the system but he's looking great!

Let's hold the .25 dose for now....if he can stay in normal numbers for 7 days, he'd earn a reduction down to .1 (or if he dropped too low again)

We actually want to keep them on insulin for as long as it's safely possible to give the pancreas as much rest as we can. We want a strong remission, not necessarily a fast one!

7. Cheryl & Jazzy

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your advice. I'm going to keep him on .25. So normal numbers being between 50 and 90 at nadir is what I'm looking for?