7/10 Fred PM +50, 130, 150, AMPS 552

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Purrberry, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you retested. The 50 looks out of place, given that he kept drifting down after that.

AT spreadsheets always look way more colourful. :rolleyes: Now he's bouncing from the blues and possible a steep drop. I found bounces from steep drops were wore than those from lower numbers. Any chance of giving him a small snack at +3.5 so he has some food on board before the drop? It seems he likes those big onset drops at +4.

3. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Is that a thing? It actually makes me feel better if it is...lol. I keep thinking I should switch to a human meter to make myself feel better. :rolleyes: The reason I stick with AT is mainly because of the teeny sample needed and the "wicking" ability of the strips. (and that Chewy conveniently has me on autoship) The only other strips that seem to do the same are the Freestyle Lite, which I know are Abbott, the same company that makes AT. Sometimes, that teeny sample is all I get. Are there any other strips that work the same way?

I do, yes. His timer feeder is set for +3-+3.5, but it's MUCH more fun to not eat out of it and then just wake up Mom. ;-) He usually has kind of a mini drop within the first 3 hours, and then +5 is the big onset. (which is about 2:30 AM) Then it's like someone lets loose an anvil. But after the initial hunger with onset, he doesn't want anything else as he drops.

It's definitely a different pattern than with Lantus. He never used to have such a distinct onset/wake me up. I was the one searching for him all over the house in the wee hours. He'd be snoozing away. But it does mess with my ability to get a PM nadir, which I knew would be the case.

You know, in looking at it, I think that may be the case with Fred as well. Interesting.

4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I found that the Walmart Relion Prime meter that has the cheapest strips doesn't need a lot of blood. Sometimes I can get away with the littlest drop. The meter is inexpensive at $9 and a box of strips is $9 for 50, so it's worth a try, and not a lot lost if it doesn't work out for you.

Purrberry likes this.
  5. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

I'm using the Verio OneTouch; it needs just a tiny drop but the strips are a bit expensive (~$0.70 each). I keep thinking about switching to something cheaper but inertia...

Purrberry likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not quite. Abbott used to make the AT, but sold the business to Zoetis. The Freestyle Lite is used commonly in Canada.