7/10 Lanky's LL Condo

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by sehjak (Susan & Lanky), Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Lanky's 7/10 LL Condo

Did dose increase to 9u last night. See Lanky pics in condo. I am still reading the camera directions...And to my horror, I just found & KILLED a black widow spider on my kitchen floor. I am totally creeped out & my skin is still tingling. Yesterday when I put my apron on a spider ran across my chest. I yelped & threw the off the apron. I looked & looked but could find no bug or spider anywhere. I thought oh well. Now this. I can barely think about it.

Question 1: is there a safe household service for bug control? If so, which one or which product?

Question 2: Do kitties react to spider bites? How dangerous can this be??

I keep looking at the dead (and it better be!) spider body & the red hour glass. Saving it in sealed container for DH. I think my skin may still be crawling when he gets home this afternoon. Ick!

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, It's good that you killed the black widow spider. Definitely save the corpse in case professionals need to examine it later. Black widow bites are very dangerous. My wilderness first-aid handbook (Wilderness First Aid. Emergency Care for Remote Locations) gives the following information about what to do if bitten:
    "What to look for:
    -a sharp pinprick may be felt, although some victims are unaware of being bitten; no mark may be visible.
    -faint red bite marks, which appear later.
    -muscle stiffness and cramps, affecting the bitten limb and ascending to the abdomen and thorax.
    -headache, chills, fever, heavy sweating, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and severe abdominal pain occurring later.

What to do:
    1. If possible, catch the spider for identification. Save the body even if it is crushed.
    2. Clean the bitten area with soap and water.
    3. Relieve pain, which may be severe, with an ice pack on the bite. Administer pain medication orally.
    4. Check the ABCs (airway; breathing; circulation).
    5. Seek medical attention immediately. Antivenin is available but is usually given only to children, the elderly, those with high blood pressure, pregnant women, or after severe envenomation."

This is not intended to scare you, but only to make you aware that a bite by a black widow is an emergency situation that should be dealt with immediately (i.e., call 911). I don't know how cats would react to a bite. For one thing, the spider's fangs would have to get through the cat's fur to pierce the skin. Ask your vet for advice. I'm sorry that I don't know of a repellant or killing agent for the spider. In any event, you killed the spider. My book says that only the female (red hour glass) is dangerous. It also says that "death from spider bite is rare in North America".

Don't panic. It will be OK. You didn't get bitten and either did Lanky.

Ella

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

~~shiver~~~ ICK!!!

If you have any dustbunnies / spiderwebs in corners -- vaccum thoroughly!

I don' t have a recommendation for chemicals or services -

4. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

That is a good idea -- vacuum.

My skin would crawl too -- I like spiders fine but poisonous ones, yikes girl. Great question about what to do for a cat if he gets bitten. Lately, my three young cats have been "playing" with bees -- it worries the heck out of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.