? 7/11 Maxi AMPS 383 Does Levemir work better than Lantus?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bambinaki, Jul 11, 2020.

1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Last thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-10-maxi-amps-306.232114/#post-2595500

It's time for me to order Maxi's insulin. He's up to 12 units of Lantus. It does sting him, but apparently not too terribly. So maybe for that reason I should change to Levemir. But is there another reason to change to Levemir? I have heard that some think it's more effective. Please give me your recommendations on sticking with Lantus or switching to Levemir.

Thanks.

2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Hi Karen Amethyst was switched to Levemir,because she is a High Dose kitty,best thing that could have happened to her! Good Luck:bighug::bighug::bighug:

bambinaki and Sonia & Leo like this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Maxi slides down for you today. I don't know about Levemir.

bambinaki likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For many cats, Levemir gets a bit better duration, which results in flatter cycles. I was really happy I switched, both to get flatter cycles and stop the sting. Another reason later on that I liked Lev was the later onset. It meant if Neko was fussy about eating, I had five hours to get food in her before the next shot would take effect. The only possible downside depends on your schedule. Onset and nadir are typically a couple hours later than on Lantus. It meant I had a hard time getting a before bed test in that was after onset, but I learned how to figure out what would happen based on the previous cycle’s +9 or +10, PMPS, and before bed test. And I was often up in the wee hours around Neko’s PM nadir time, for a workout. Meaning, I got more sleep on Lev

5. bambinaki

Hi Pamela-

Thanks for your reply.

What about the switch to Levemir do you like?

6. bambinaki

I can switch directly from Lantus to Levemir, right? No need to do it gradually? So, I could give Maxi 12 units of Lantus tonight, and tomorrow morning I could give him 12 units of Levemir, and keep on with the Levemir dosing and increasing just like the Lantus?

I don't see regularity in Maxi's onsets or nadirs, so I could treat the testing the same with Levemir as with Lantus, couldn't I?

Thank you!

7. Wendy&Neko

Some cats have a strong reaction to a change in insulin (L to L). To prevent too much excitement, we suggest starting at 70% of the Lantus dose, but we can fast track after 4 cycles or so, if its obvious the dose is too low. So that would be 8.5 units of Levemir to start.

Onsets usually don't change that much. As long as it's not a bounce cycle, it looks like Maxi has onset by +2.

One other thing I like about Lev - when you give R at preshot, it is typically in and out just about the time of onset, giving the Levemir a nice number to work with, and not so much overlap with the downward action of both insulins. Of course, Neko didn't like to be typical, her R action wasn't like most, so what I had to do was a bit different. :rolleyes:

Pamela & Amethyst likes this.
  8. bambinaki

Thank you!

Would you change to Levemir if you were Maxi's caregiver?

9. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Yes very grateful for it!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Wendy&Neko

I'm not you and I have never laid actual eyes on him. I just know that if my cat was reacting to the sting, I would seriously consider it.

Pamela & Amethyst likes this.
  11. bambinaki

Thank you