? 7/12 Mo - AMPS 234!!, +2 356, +6 373, PMPS 389 - Thoughts on Mo's vet visit?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by katy and mo (GA), Dec 6, 2020.

1. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

Yesterday's Post

So this mornings test was a bit of a surprise! We haven't seen a yellow in a few days so this makes me very happy. +2 was back in the pinks :( Hopefully this is a bounce, but who knows anymore tbh.

We have a vet appointment in less than 2 hours. I'll update on how that goes.

Have a great day!

JaxBenji likes this.
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yay, a yellow! And, good luck at the vet :bighug::bighug::bighug:

katy and mo (GA) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the vetty visit goes well.

4. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

So the vet was interesting...this might be long.

So I told the vet that I have been following Tight Control (TR but known as Tight Control here) and have been increasing his dose every 6 cycles accordingly. She freaked out and needed to take some deep breaths. She told me that I was risking killing my cat and I said that I wasn't because I'm testing him regularly, and keeping a close eye on him. His numbers are mostly above 270. No where near being hypoglycaemic. She then realised that actually I know what I'm doing, but she would be more comfortable if we waited 10 days to 2 weeks before we increased his dose again just as that's the policy at our vet and if they let me do tight control, everyone at the vet has to agree on it. But she was super open to it once we started talking about it and asked me to send her the paper on it for her to read through. She said she's really interested in feline diabetes and is open to new methods of managing it, so I sent it through to her. At least she open to it! She grabbed me the text book that they use and showed me a flow chart that they tend to follow on feline diabetes. It seems pretty outdated tbh.

She asked if the reason I was doing TR was because I was aiming for remission and I said yes. She warned me that Mo might not achieve remission given he may have had diabetes for a while now and we haven't known it. I'm ok with that. I just want to get his BGL below 180 regularly. That's all i'm aiming for really. She did say that they aim to have cats between 90 and 270 and that's good control of diabetes to them. I personally want him below 180.

She said that he's not showing any signs of acromegaly, which is good but I understand that some cats on here have it without any obvious signs of it. His temperature is fine, etc, but I was worried that he isn't weeing as much as he was. This may be due to him going outside but I asked her to check him for me. She did a urinalysis test so I'm just waiting on those results to be sent through to me. She recommended I get some ketone sticks which I will be ordering soon!

Hopefully the urinalysis test comes back all clear. Fingers crossed!

Was wondering what your thoughts were on what she was saying?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello yellow.:)

I'm glad the vet did a urinalysis. The extra weeing could be due to a urinary infection, which is more common in diabetic cats. So good to rule that out or not. An infection like that would also raise the numbers.

I like that you have a goal to keep him mostly under 180. That's still a fairly well regulated cat if you can achieve it, and he'll fell much better too. You cannot achieve that goal if you wait two weeks or 10 days at a dose. All you'll get is his body used to higher numbers and glucose toxicity. TR can also help you get regulation faster. Regulation is a prerequisite to remission. It would have been interesting to ask the vet how many of her diabetic kitty parents do home testing. Without that, they'll want to keep cats in higher numbers. I was the first client at my vet to home test. She was happy with nadirs in the mid 100's. Though she calmed down once she saw how much I was testing.

The only sign my girl had when she tested positive for acromegaly was her dose (6 units) and insatiable hunger. Plus I later found out the one teary eye was probably due to soft tissue growth in her eye ducts. My vet dismissed that sign. Anyway, no other signs at all, not even the tell tale pot belly. She actually had no other signs, except arthritis for a couple years after diagnosis. A lot of endocrinology vets are now recommending testing for it if a cat is still unregulated after 3 months, and if there are no other secondary conditions to explain it.

6. katy and mo (GA)

katy and mo (GA) Member

I'm happy she did that. I still haven't heard back so I'm assuming no news is good news! Hoping to hear back tomorrow.

I'm hoping that they will eventually come round to be doing TR at home. The vet was adamant that it takes 2 weeks for the current dose to start to work. I don't believe that given everything I've read about the insulin depot and what everyone else's kitties have experienced. I would be keen to know how many other diabetic kitty parents test at home too. Maybe I'll ask that next time I go in.

That's very interesting! I'll ask the vet next time what testing for it would involve being done from NZ.

Thank you for your thoughts, Wendy! Hopefully the vet has read over the paper I gave her. I would be interested to see if she would be open for me to carry on but just to contact her before every dose increase.

PMPS 389 :( Maybe he's high because of the vet today? Maybe a bounce from the 234 this morning? Who knows tbh :( Hoping my boy starts to feel better soon.

7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

It's very positive that your vet is open to ideas and willing to work with you so that you can achieve your goals for Mo. As for his numbers, I hope they start to come down soon. :bighug: