? 7/17 Azreala AMPS 355, 1.75U, +3 312, +9 335, PMPS 395, 1U, +3 334

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Donna Fishman, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Donna Fishman

Donna Fishman New Member

Az is on 1.75 units AM and 1 unit PM. Vet didn't want to increase the PM shot since Az does not eat after 10 pm to 6 am. However, from her curve, her values are still pretty high.

Just wanted to get an opinion if I should increase AM and PM shots by 0.25 units? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. We really feel it’s important to give the same dose she every cycle whenever possible as Lantus likes consistency. Is there a reason why you can’t feed past PMPS? Most of us give s real small meals . I used to feed at shot time and then a small amount at +2 and +4. In the a day cycle I tried to stop feeding at +6 unless Max was dropping. It does look like an increase is needed but I’m not sure how to do it. I’d probably shoot 1.5 each cycle. See what others think.

3. Donna Fishman

Donna Fishman New Member

Thanks. I wasn't aware about the consistent doses. I did just do what my vet recommended since she said that is how she usually does it since most of her feline patients stop eating after the PM dose.

For the past few years, I have had to feed Az four main meals (AMPS; +6; PMPS; +4) with three small ground turkey snacks in between. This was because with her hyperthyroid, she was nauseous all the time and required smaller meals to keep it down. Now she is used to it.

I would appreciate any other thoughts on if I should try 1.5 each cycle. I am just happy her clinical conditions (excessive thirst/urination/hunger/fatigue) have eased up even though her values are still in the 300-400 range.

4. tiffmaxee

Most diabetics do best getting lots of small meals too. Continue to do that with both cycles. I think increasing to 1.5 both cycles is a good idea. Start a condo on the Lantus cycle. Then read the yellow sticky on dosing methods we use here. When you have time read the other stickies as they are quite helpful. Ask as many questions as you need. I hope this dosing change will help. It’s great you are seeing positive changes.

5. tiffmaxee

I’m glad you decided to give the same dose each cycle. It could take several cycles to see what this
    dose does so be patient.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  6. Donna Fishman

Donna Fishman New Member

@tiffmaxee - thank you for your guidance. It has been two days and her AM values are similar to what it was about 2 weeks ago when it was 1.5u. I will wait a week and see what happens. She has been a little more tired today but her clinical signs have eased up. So again, thank you and I will be patient with my kiddo.

7. tiffmaxee

Your welcome. You might find that you will need to take a .25 increase in a week but it was better to even out the doses first.This increase was less than a typical.25 but since she wasn’t getting the depot benefit I think this was wise. Feeling better is good news!