? 7/2 - Gideon Blue - AMPS = 382 - VACATION ADVICE

Discussion in 'Lantus / Basaglar (glargine) and Levemir (detemir)' started by Shiloh567, Jul 2, 2020.

  1. Shiloh567

    Shiloh567 Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2020
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-30-gideon-blue-amps-367.231726/

    Well, at least we are not in the RED this morning. Hoping for a good day with no bounces. Gotta get this guy more regulated! In 9 days we are away for 1 week. We have an older friend who comes to stay with our kitties when we are away. They love her. We are also having our vet tech come in every morning at 7A and every evening at 7P to test Gideon, feed, and give Lantus. My vet doesn't want the Lantus changed at least until we return. He wants to see if Gideon settles in to the 2 units twice daily. If I tell the tech to give him 2.25 units, the vet will know. So, stuck between a rock and a hard place. I also do not want Gideon to plummet while we are away. I do not want the pet sitter trying to get a BG test on Gideon. He will only be getting tested twice per day during that week. It is the best we can do. The cat sitter and vet tech cost more than the vacation itself. Do you think it is OK to keep Gideon at the 2 units, until we return?
     
  2. Olive & Paula

    Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2015
    It's a bit early yet to decide. Most people give slightly less when away. But it's early yet.
     
  3. Shiloh567

    Shiloh567 Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2020
    Yes, we will wait and see how Gideon is doing.
    Thank you so much
     
  4. tiffmaxee

    tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2013
    Since you will need to give a lower vacation dose there is no reason I can think of not to increase now. I’d hate for him to stay high until you leave and an additional week while away.
     
  5. Shiloh567

    Shiloh567 Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2020
    OK, so in the AM, should I increase to 2.25 units? I guess I could do it tonight, since I am home, though I prefer morning increases.
    So, folk decrease when they are on vac to prevent the kitty from going hypo?
     
  6. tiffmaxee

    tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2013
    I preferred morning increases too. A week is a long time away. You can bring him down before you leave. With only two tests a day I would definitely shoot a lower than even 2.0 unit dose most likely but that can be determined before you leave.
     
  7. tiffmaxee

    tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2013
    So, folk decrease when they are on vac to prevent the kitty from going hypo?[/QUOTE]


    Yes. Everybody does that for safety.
     

Share This Page