7/20 Mickey - frustrated!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a few days in a row without pre-shots!!n He is so big I have to kind of sit on his back to get the test...Now every time I get to him, we start the hissing and biting act. I did poke him 3 times with blood but we get the head shake. I will try periodically thru the day to get spot checks. I did get the u100 needles but have not increased the dose as I don't know where he is. :roll: :sad:

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

One technique that may come in handy for you:
    wash and thoroughly dry your hands.
    get your meter/strip ready
    pin him down and poke, and see if you can scoop up the blood onto your finger nail before he shakes his head. let him go.
    test the blood immediately from your fingernail.

Other folks roll them up into a beach towel, making a kitty burrito so they cant escape. but I don't know what you do about the biting. Maybe a "scruff" hold (like momma cat) might paralyze him a bit.

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Thank you I will give it a go...Someone suggested the clothes pin too. He is just so big It is hard to get a handle on him. :mrgreen:

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried the burrito? Wrapping him in a towel or blanket like a burrito, his head will still be able to move but he won't be able to poke you back.

There is also the close pin option. I wish I knew how to link the pics but maybe do a search on it, I've heard it works.

And don't forget the treats, that will win them over in time. I had to do a curve on Harley both Saturday and Sunday so yesterday he came to me to be tested every hour on the hour.

Hang in there.

Robin

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, isn't that so frustrating! He's a BIG cat, so I can imagine how much of an ordeal it is if he doesn't want to cooperate!

Have you ever tried the clothespin trick? I haven't tried it, but it seems like it works well for some people. Many people use the burrito method, but Tinkles won't tolerate that type of restraint. I actually had my hubby or daughter just pick Tinkles up and hold him in the beginning when he was ornery about taking meds or getting tested. Can you have someone help you until you get him into a good routine?

My hubby can't test at all, Tinkles squirms and runs away...and hubby lets him go. Since he gets away with it, he knows he doesn't HAVE to hold still for DH. I never let him get away with that, so he knows he HAS to let me get the test.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding out what works best for you and your cat. Once you find the system that works for you, it will get easier. Good luck, look at the home testing links, maybe an idea there will help you out.

6. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Thanks everyone...I wish I could video tape the BG ordeal..I am not saying I am a tiny person..just 5'2 but when I pick him up he comes from the start of my thighs to my shoulders. So it is pretty funny seeing my legs wrapped around his entire body..trying to keep him still..He does have some strength..I will work on getting a picture back up on the site here. His fangs hang over his bottom lip. Quite impressive. I did try to get him two more times today with negative results..And a bandage :mrgreen:

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Things turned around for me when I realized Bix did better if I didn't try to restrain him. I was always holding him down a bit so he fought against that to get away. When I realized that if I let go and put the test stuff aside he would sit and enjoy being pet, I realized the secret (with him at least, can't say this would work for every cat!) was to make it fun cuddle time, and the test just a teeny part of it.

So first I would just sit with him (we established a "testing place") and pet him. Then I started bringing the test kit over & let him sniff it & stuff. Then once we were both relaxed with that, I started going through the motions of testing without actually doing the test - clicking the lancet thing, holding it to his ear, etc. Once he got adjusted to all that and didn't mind it, I started actually doing the test - don't think he even noticed at that point.

For me I think a lot of it was that I was so tense about it I was communicating that to him and getting him upset. Once I realized that I could relax with it - we could hang out on the couch and if I got a test, great, but if I didn't, no big deal, the bigger picture was the couch time, it got a lot easier.

None of that might work for you, but just keep trying things, sooner or later I'm sure you will figure out what works for him. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.