? 7/23 Nelson pmps 313, +5 250, amps 331

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nelson and Taz, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Nelson and Taz

Nelson and Taz Member

Hi guys. Im at my wits end. Does someone have an explanation for why Nelson had a few really good days but we just can't hold it?
    It's really affecting his ability to heal from his UTI.
    Thanks in advance

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He’s still bouncing from the drop to 76 on 7/21. It can take several cycles to clear. It will get better but it’s frustrating I know.

Nelson and Taz likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Bounces take up to six cycles to resolve. Hopefully today or tonight. I also don't see any data for the night of the 22nd, not sure if he went lower and started another bounce as a result. :rolleyes:

4. Nelson and Taz

Nelson and Taz Member

Thanks. He's been very upset and acting out, peeing in odd places and spraying on my bed. I just needed to let him be. He wasn't into being tested unfortunately.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s a UTI and not idiopathic cystitis?

6. Nelson and Taz

Nelson and Taz Member

My vet said UTI from urine analysis but wants to do an ultrasound on his bladder. Does that mean he suspects something else? He is losing the lining in his pee, there was trace amounts of blood. They have to gas Nelson to do anything to him, he just hates the vet. So they are reluctant to check too early because of the stress it causes him. I'm torn.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

From your description in an earlier post it sounds like idiopathic cystitis (or FLUTD). Sheba used to get it every so often. At first they thought it was a UTI but eventually after an ultrasound to rule out other issues they said it was IC.
    If you don’t want to have him put under with gas (don’t blame you) would they let you hold him. I held Sheba and she was ok with that.
    Alternatively you could try using a feliway collar on him to see if it calms him. It certainly helped Sheba. The constantly going to the LB and doing little bits and the blood is exactly what Sheba did. And with Nelson being a male cat It is less likely they can get a UTI. There are other things I did to help Sheba ... I’m on my iPhone atm but when I get home I’ll find them and tell you.
    Did you google Idiopathic Cystitis?

8. Nelson and Taz

Nelson and Taz Member

Thanks so much. I did google it and I'm about to call the vet now to get on top of it. It sounds like it exactly. He's removed so much fur down his sides lately. He bashed his sister up last night too.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My non diabetic (civvie) boy cat had idiopathic cystitis too. I put in Feliway diffusers, and he got fluids, Cerenia, Cartrophen and buprenorphine at a flare up. It's quite painful. Ongoing to prevent occurrences, I added lots of water to his food, and gave glucosamine chondroiten (Cosequin), as well as low carb and low phosphorus food.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks @Wendy&Neko .. cosequin and cartrophen were the two things that I was trying to think of and my mind went blank.
    I ordered cosequin from the US. I could not get it here in Aus. It’s cheaper to get a few bottles at once as the initial dose is higher And Sheba had the cartrophen injections at the vet. Very worthwhile.