7/24 Toeby AMPS 155 - Reduced dose, PMBG 133

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Yesterday's thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-68-questions-been-answered-thanks.232613/

Good morning cat angels!

Just tested Toeby at 155 mg/dL before he has a shot and breakfast.
    Last night I skipped his 0.25 unit shot as he was 68 at shot time.
    He was 106 three hours later, after food.
    I think I should probably give him insulin (Lantus) after the skipped shot last night, but based on where his numbers are, I am considering reducing the dose from 0.25... perhaps to 0.125 or as close as I can with these old eyeballs of mine (I have half unit syringes).
    I will be around the house a lot today.
    Any advice/comments welcome.
    It is almost 8:30 am here, 7:30 am Eastern.
    Thanks, Laura

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why you don’t think you should give the dose of 0.25 unit this morning.
    You have shot lower BGs than 155 for the last 3 mornings.
    If you have plenty of test strips, some higher carb food and will be able to monitor I think you can shoot.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Laurasboyz likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What dosing method are you following? TR or SLGS?

Laurasboyz likes this.
  5. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Morning! thanks Bron and Nan! I'll be honest, I'm not sure what dosing method I am following... I don't think I'm trying for tight regulation, I basically like the idea of SLGS and see how it goes. I was thinking of reducing him because... well, because I thought it was the right thing to do given the fact that he was 68 last night.... I can certainly give the the full quarter unit. I am really only acting on a hunch, not on experience by any means, given the fact that I only started home testing a bit over a week ago...

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you are going to follow the SLGS method you need to reduce the dose to 0.1 that Nan has shown you, as Toeby has dropped under 90.
    Can you put SLGS in your signature so that we can see please? Thanks.

Nan & Amber (GA) and Laurasboyz like this.
  7. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Hi again, I took the time to re-read the sticky on dosing and I have decided that I am following the SLGS method (even if I wasn't aware I was :)) and have added that to my profile. Time passes so quickly... an hour had passed since I tested him, so I gave him what I believe to be 0.125 units. I figure if I am wrong, I can always increase but I would like to see what happens after a few days on a reduced dose. Laura

8. Nan & Amber (GA)

I like that logic! Let's see what he does on this.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  9. Nan & Amber (GA)

Just saw your other post with the 40 :eek:, let's try to keep it all in one thread though!

Please feed some high carb food (just a tsp or two) or a few drops of honey/karo, and test again in 30mins.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  10. Nan & Amber (GA)

And it looks like your post about the 40 reading was a half hour ago, so it's time to test again already!

Even though he's not showing symptoms, this is not a number you want to fool around with-- they can go symptomatic in a flash.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  11. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Okay, only one post per day - is that what you're saying? I just wanted to be sure the new situation was highlighted in the headline, but I guess I could have gone in and change it.. will go retest now.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes exactly-- just to make it easier for people to follow the story, we try to keep everything on a single daily post. Editing the title is a great way to alert people to the change in situation.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  13. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

My second seperate posting today, which I am trying to delete so that everything is on one post, said:

At +3 hours, he is at 40.
    He's showing no hypoglycemic symptoms (never has) and gladly ate some FF with gravy.
    I will recheck him in a while, not panicking, as long as he will eat I have lots of higher carb food in the house.

His spreadsheet is up to date...
    I'm puzzled over what is going on here...
    Laura

Edited to add.... retested one hour after, and he is 54. He has had some FF Chicken Feast in Gravy - grilled. Just gave him some more.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, great! If he stays above 50 on the next test, you can hold off on more food for a bit and see what he can do on his own.

I'm wondering if what we're seeing is his pancreas getting to work :woot: after breakfast, and coinciding with the onset of his (tiny) dose this morning?

Laurasboyz likes this.
  15. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

I'm wondering if he needs to be on insulin... he was asymptomatic when the vet "discovered" his high blood sugar. I questioned her diagnosis from the get-go and am walking a line telling myself not to be so obstinate, and go with her diagnosis, and saying screw this, stop giving poor Toeby insulin.... I don't want to be one of "those" patients, but...

I will recheck him again shortly

16. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

How do I delete a thread? I'd like to toast that one from an hour ago...

17. Nan & Amber (GA)

I'll tag @Wendy&Neko , when she comes on she should be able to merge the threads. If you see one of the other moderators online, any of them should be able to do it, I'm not sure who's on now though.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  18. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Thanks Nan, I really appreciate your help.... I feel like a pain in the a**. You are very kind to take the time with people like me. Sigh. :(

19. Nan & Amber (GA)

Not at all, never feel like a pain in the a**, we are all here to ask questions and help where we can!

20. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Took a pic while we're waiting for another test... just 'cause he's handsome.

Attached Files:

21. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oh my! And doesn't he know it, too! I just love those mitts of his!

Laurasboyz likes this.
  22. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

I think he has 26 toes, if you include a couple little token toes on his thumbs. Okay, plus 5 hours and he is at 86, so he is definitely on the right direction.... NOW.... what the heck do I do about his PM shot, when I get there? I suspect the answer is, wait, see what he is when the time comes, if he is below 150 maybe give it a skip?

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, let's wait and see what he does from here. Like you, I have some suspicions about his diagnosis given what he's been doing, but we may need to play out the string a bit longer. Hopefully Wendy will check in before then with her thoughts on this.

It's a nice problem to have, though, isn't it, him spending so much time in good numbers!

JOJI and Kit and Laurasboyz like this.
  24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We do have a dose called "a drop". You push the plunger in as hard as you can, put the syringe into the cartridge/vial, then release the plunger pressure. The vacuum draws in about a drop. Toeby seems like he needs "some" insulin cause he's still showing some higher blue numbers.

What is your current feeding schedule with Toeby? Just wondering if you could do something there to help with the numbers.

Laurasboyz and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  25. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Hi Wendy,
    I wrestled to get these 2 cats off dried food when we adopted them in 2006 because my previous cat had diabetes before he passed (I don't want to guess how much canned food we threw away as it dried up in the bowl. I can remember from the board the expression "kitty crack" and it is true.)

But I did get them switched and for years they quite happily ate canned foods and freeze dried Stella and Chewy's chicken, and then in the last year or so we started feeding some dry foods.
    His brother was prescribed Hills Prescription Diet IM, and they disliked the canned, but liked the dry version and seemed to be doing well on it as far as their guts went.

The vet sent him home after his diabetes diagnosis with a bag of dry DM, but I stopped feeding that almost immediately.
    He likes dry food - I am sure it is coated with flavour enhancers or whatever, but I am only too happy when he'll eat the low-carb canned pates we put out because it's not his fav.
    I only feed various brands of canned pate, and rehydrated Stella and Chewy's chicken that is primarily eaten by his brother.
    I doubt I will ever get him to eat 2 meals a day in order to fit in with his needle schedule - we put probiotics on their food and if he doesn't like the food, he'll lick the probiotics off and stomp off. When he gets hungry enough he comes back and has a nosh.
    I currently am trying to pick up his food and ignore the yelling for 2 hours before shot time, but boy, do they yell.

He was 142 two hours ago... I expect his BG at shot time will be higher than it was this morning, but I had to give him that gravy canned FF when he went so low this morning.
    Laura

26. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Okay!
    Evening PS was 133...

Under SLGS guidelines, I did NOT give him insulin tonight. Would that sound correct?
    Laura

27. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For people who are new - which you aren't, but you are new with this cat, you don't have enough data to shoot low. Eventually, as you get data, should Toeby decide he wants to stay on insulin, that no shot number can gradually be lowered to 90.

Very interested to see what he does overnight. Looks like his pancreas is at least partly sputtering. Are you spreading out his meals? Many smaller meals is better for pancreatic healing, when you are down to tiny doses.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  28. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

HI Wendy, he basically eats a bunch of smaller meals because he mostly grazes. I do try to take the food up 2 hours before shot time, but mornings like this morning they had food down before I had a chance to get a reading... my husband went to work at 2:30 am and gave them a snack then, so when I got up there was food in their dishes. Anyway... starting a new thread with this morning's number.