7/25 Aria

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

So after our vet visit with her having an infected toe and having to have a tooth removed she threw me a 197. I'm going to give it a wait before I give her the .1. I may even wait until tonight to be sure, since I won't be home for a few hours. The stress from the teeth cleaning and the healing that she's doing and the antibiotics cause a spike, right? Our vet was very pleased that even right before surgery, her BG was at 145 in full stress mode. But she looked so down today that I had to run a test.

(refusing to believe we're coming back from the falls!)

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww, poor girl!

I'm not sure if the better strategy is to wait and see, or shoot the # down really fast before it can stretch into anything worse. There may not be any one strategy that is best. You may want to post in a couple other forums also where their might be more people with that kind of experience - I think there are a few around here. I would probably cross post in Health and Honeymooners (or whatever it's called). I vaguely remember some Think Tank thread too on strategies for stuff like that, so you might want to peek in over there too and see if you see anything useful.

When Bix had dental, he had a nice # too at the vets, like 140 or something (and no insulin that day), but he was in the 200s the next day, and I had to increase his insulin quite a bit for a few days after. I don't know if it was a delayed stress reaction, or maybe a reaction to all the meds he was on? I thought his #s would come down with the antibiotics, but it seemed to go the other way for us. The vet thought it was probably because he felt cr*ppy for a few days (he had several teeth out).

Anyhow, hopefully that won't be the case with her, but just wanted to mention it so you won't be surprised if you do see higher #s.

Hope she is feeling better soon! & hopefully even if she does need some insulin, it will just be for a brief spell...

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Thanks Joanna. The toe infection and removal of a tooth was pretty heavy duty. Then to her chagrin, they gave her a bath!! How dare they!?! LOL! I'm pretty sure it's rebound stress. Both girls are just eating enough to get by and are tolerating their respective meds, so I'm hopeful that with a little calmness coming in the next few days, she'll be back to normal-ish. I may end up picking up some lunch meat to cheer her up. She keeps looking at me like I'm the traitor who took her to the vet and left her.

ETA - Well, tested again and she went to 258. So I gave her the .1 and will test her at midnight (+6.) Hoping this is a short lived reaction to the vet visit. Fingers crossed!!!

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Oh Hope - I am hoping that it is a delayed stress reaction too! Paws and fingers crossed that she comes down from that number tonight!

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

+3.5 and we're down to 219. I'm thinking since it was so high (higher than we've seen since we started her reduction) I probably should have shot .2, but hindsight is 20/20 and the .1 is definitely working. Also, since I didn't test last night or early morning, she's had no time to overlap to take the stress off Mr. P. As always, I'm postulating, but that all makes sense to me, so that's what I'm doing. Will post in a few hours as we get closer to her nadir.

Thanks Kel! I'm keeping paws crossed as well.

ETA - 188 at a hair before +6. Nice improvement. Insulin is still working well. Definitely should have given the .2 with the starting high number after a massive spike. Tomorrow's PS will be interesting. Since I'm home most of the day, if she's over 200, I'll shoot the .2. Her .1 dose was when she was between 140-180, so I'm going to slide it up a bit to try and get her back to her normal levels (she's been running between 80-100.)

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Drug my eyes open at 6 am to test her and she was at 104. Quite nice. Tested again at +16 and she's up to 165. Gave her some food and am going to wait another hour before I give her a shot. 165 is shootable, but the .1 definitely did it's job last night, so I don't want to push it (and I really suck at the .05 measurement.) If she's still on the rise in an hour, she'll get her shot and we'll keep moving forward.

Her disposition is much improved since yesterday's shot, so she definitely needed it. Thank goodness I still have my 1/4 bottle of Prozinc in the back of the fridge.

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that Aria needed a little juice, Hope. I've got my fingers crossed that it will be a short hiatus, and you will be back to the falls soon!

8. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Holding steady at 167 at +18. If she doesn't drop in another 2 hours, I'll give her the shot. Part of me thinks to just do it now, but I'd rather err on the side of caution right now and wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.