? 7/25 Max AMPS 386 +2 463 + 4 380 +6 311 + 10 430 GI Panel question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Max just increased to 5u Lantus bid last night. I have two questions. He has an appointment tomorrow morning at 8 am at our new vet's office for a GI panel. The vet told me he had to be fasting and to come in at 8 am when they open then I can take him back home after blood is drawn. Our insulin injection time is 7 am, so that is a lot of insulin to give if he is fasting. We would get back home about 9 am. Should I just wait and shoot then when I can feed him, even though it will have our times off schedule? Second question is the old vet we had gave him a B-12 injection two weeks ago. I don't know how long that will stay in a cat's system. I mentioned that to the new vet but he said it shouldn't interfere with the test. I want to make sure the test is accurate so do you think we should wait longer before we get it or it should be fine?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to your previous post, to help with continuity: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-7-552-10-450-may-have-given-fur-shot.250312/

Some things to consider about the shot timing tomorrow. First, if you shoot at 9:00 AM, you can move back on schedule by 1/2 hour once per day, or 15 minutes per schedule. Is that something you can make work? It will take you 4 days to get back on schedule. Or alternatively, you could give him the shot in the car just before the appointment, making it just one hour you have to get back on schedule.

Second, the Lantus onset is typically not until 2-3 hours after the shot, so you do have some time after the shot before the insulin starts lowering the numbers. Ideally you want him to eat at least 20-30 minutes before onset. If he'll eat when you pick him up, you could feed in the car - provided that won't make him throw up. Or you could give the vet his food and ask them to give that to him as soon as the blood draw is done.

3. Max & Lori

4. Max & Lori

I hadn’t thought about giving it there, then labs, then feeding him in the car. That might help. Thanks

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Wendy has great suggestions. Gracie was pretty laid back about everything but she would not eat anywhere but at home or, if she had to be hospitalized, I would take her food over and feed her. So be sure you know he’ll eat although Wendy has a good point that if you shoot once you get to the vet’s office, you’ve got more time to get food in him. But....you might also have to explain now why you are shooting 5u instead of 2u. But...he’s your cat and you are his advocate.

I do like what I’m seeing on his SS today; progress.

Keep in mind, as well, that if he gets vet stress and his BG pops up and you shoot late, you can shoot at +11 to catch up. That’s totally fine.

Max & Lori likes this.
  6. Max & Lori

Okay Marje thanks. I’m thinking I might take him out to the car and turn on the AC and see if he will eat in the car lol. He such an anxious cat anywhere but home though so I might just be two hours off schedule to catch up. I will let you know because I’m sure I will need reassurance figuring it out. I’m not sure if I will actually see the vet. I think it’s just the tech to draw blood then we leave.

7. Wendy&Neko

A favour to ask of you. If you think you might have done a fur shot, could you put "FS?" besides the dose in the units column. Lots of examples on Neko's spreadsheet. :rolleyes: Due to the depot nature of Lantus, it's important for us to know about possible fur shots.

Max & Lori likes this.
  8. Max & Lori

Ironically that happened to us again tonight ugh! This didn’t happen to me except once when I was using the U-40 syringes when he was on Prozinc. These u-100 syringes the vet gave me are a little different and the Lantus looking like a smaller amount in the syringe, with his fur, and him starting to give me trouble about being still…I don’t know why this is a problem for me all of a sudden! And we were having a better day too.

9. Wendy&Neko

Max & Lori likes this.
  10. Max & Lori

That’s true. It’s just frustrating though.

11. Max & Lori

Thanks for the video links. I like that roll method. I think I will try that next time. It looks easier to see the skin.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I always found it easier and never gave a FS with it.

Good luck!