7/25 Oscar AMPS 557, +2 396, +4 246, +6 231, +8 271, PMPS 434, +2 452, +6 366

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by a_rose51, Jul 25, 2021.

1. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea,

Sorry no one responded last night wrt dosing.

@Bron and Sheba (GA) With nadirs over 300, can Andrea take the dose up to 1.5U? She is following TR. If not then 1.25U?

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes she can go up to 1.5 units. I would also advice testing daily for ketones if not already doing it.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Thank you both! Will up the dosage and I am trying to test for ketones but have yet to be able to catch him in the box. I will follow him around all day today if I have to so I can test. I am very grateful for the help.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Maybe you can pop a small plastic container into his favourite spot in the LB and hopefully he will oblige by peeing in it.

a_rose51 likes this.
  6. Bandit's Mom

a_rose51 likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

Did Sheba have a favourite spot? Mine pee anywhere in the LB. They would probably avoid the plastic container! :)

a_rose51 likes this.
  8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea. Sure hoping the increase will get Oscar out of the blacks. If you are following TR can you update your spread sheet? It is still showing SLGS.

9. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

To be honest, I’m not sure what protocol to follow. I just want him to get better. Do majority on Lantus do TR?

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes my cats have a favourite spot.:)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Bandit's Mom

If you are feeding 100% LC wet (no dry) and can get at least 2 tests per cycle (1 pre-shot and 1 in the cycle), I would strongly recommend that you follow TR. It is a more aggressive protocol with the dose being evaluated every 3 days. It will enable you to get Oscar to his "good dose" sooner.

With SLGS you hold doses for a week and increase by 0.25 once a week. Considering Oscar's numbers, you don't want that. Not only is it hard on his kidneys to stay at such high levels for so long, there is also the chance of glucose toxicity setting in (glucose toxicity is a temporary resistance to insulin that develops when the cat stays in high numbers for very long. The cat's body starts treating high numbers as the new normal and it takes longer and more insulin to break through to lower numbers).

If testing continue to be a challenge, you can switch to SLGS once Oscar starts seeing better numbers.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  12. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Okay, great. No I can do two each cycle on a regular basis. He’s down to 396 at +2. Seems like a big drop. Is that a good thing?

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s a big drop but nothing to worry about. If he were under 200 you would need to test again in an hour. Can you test again in 2-3 hours? Lantus kicks in around+2. When that test shows a big drop it means he will have an active cycle.

To test Max’s urine I put Saran Wrap over the litter and tested where it gathered.

14. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

246 at +4. I’ll check again at +6. Maybe I’ll try the Saran Wrap trick. I have two cats, but it can’t hurt to test all the urine.

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

As long as you know who you are testing, lol.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  16. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeaaaaaa, Andrea. Yellow! I am so happy to see you out of the black and red. I agree with Bhooma. Because Oscar is in such high numbers you should follow TR at least until you can get his numbers down. Once they are down, if you can't increase your testing when necessary, you can go back to SLGS. Keep posting everyday so you can get the help you need. Bhooma and Elise are a couple of the best!

17. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!! That seems reasonable. You guys are all the best!!

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  18. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Pretty normal? Definitely not as good as this morning, but I know we just switched doses and it takes days to see how it will be. Come on patience!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  19. Bandit's Mom

It takes 4-6 cycles for the depot to adjust to the change. Waiting is hard! :)
    When he is that flat at +2, you needn't stay up or set an alarm for another test at night.

20. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

You know, I almost asked last night if I needed to get up. Well now I know and it didn’t kill me! :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.