7/27 Cheeto AMPS 109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SaraW1983, Jul 27, 2020.

1. SaraW1983

SaraW1983 Member

Hi everyone! I just set up my spreadsheet for my Cheeto yesterday, and made my first forum post in the Health section. I was told I should also post here to introduce myself so that I may get more assistance from those using the same insulin. Here is the link to my other post, so I am not doing the copy and paste thing and duplicating anything, or leaving anything out.
    First post, just want to put myself out there.

So far, I have gotten great advice. I definitely need to do more testing to fill in the blanks, so I can get feedback on the best way to handle Cheeto's numbers and dosing. My vet is fully on board, and recommending that I turn to all of you wise people to help us better regulate my girl. Thank you for reading this post, and my previous one linked above. :cat:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Make sure you've read all the sticky notes on the top of this forum. There is a lot of information! And no quizz afterwards, :p so feel free to ask questions.

We find Lantus does best if you can stick to the same dose, allowing the depot to build and stabilize. We also determine how to dose based on how low the dose takes the cat, not so much the preshots. Though, we will reduce if the number is too low at preshot, such as a couple nights ago. 1.5 units is too much insulin. By way of an experiment, what do you think about trying 1.0 units as your new dose? I am hoping it means you won't have to skip doses and you can stick to the same dose for a while.

SaraW1983 likes this.
  3. SaraW1983

SaraW1983 Member

I will definitely be going through all the Sticky Notes. So much info! I was considering dropping her dose, so this makes me feel like I’m on the right track that you brought it up. I hate that I’ve been skipping doses, but wasn’t 100% certain I’d be right on reducing. Thanks!

4. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

I'm just here to say welcome! I love the name Cheeto. :joyful:

Wendy's advice is really good. Have you decided if you want to do TR or SLGS?

5. SaraW1983

SaraW1983 Member

Your kitty is adorable! My vet had recommended that I go with TR. I want to read up on both again so I have a better idea of what each protocol entails, as I feel I’ve just been winging it (for lack of a better term) while I get accustomed to it all. It’s been a learning curve, for sure.

SingsToCats likes this.
  6. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

He says thanks!

TR is faster and more aggressive, you hold the initial dose for 5-7 days. SLGS is slower, you hold the initial dose at least a week.

That means you have several days to decide which method to follow. Since you've changed his dose several times recently, you need to stay at the same dose for several days, to build up the "depot" of Lantus. (You can lower the dose, if he goes too low.)

SaraW1983 likes this.
  7. SaraW1983

SaraW1983 Member

I’ll drop down to 1.0 units and hold there while I do my reading. I’ll keep everyone posted!

8. KittenTheCat

KittenTheCat Member

Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is so supportive and helpful! It’s a lot to take in at the beginning and I still find myself referring back to the sticky notes. :D

SaraW1983 likes this.
  9. SaraW1983

SaraW1983 Member

I feel I may live in those sticky notes! :p

KittenTheCat and Wendy&Neko like this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I understand from the FB group that you didn't shoot this morning because you had to leave for work, but 196 is a perfectly shootable number.

We usually say if they're above 150, go ahead and shoot...but I also understand this is all very new to you (doing things "our way")

That being said, here's some information and suggestions on "Is TR possible with a full time job"

Cheeto will probably be high by PMPS so we need to find a dose you're comfortable giving both AM and PM

SaraW1983 likes this.
  11. SaraW1983

SaraW1983 Member

Thank you. My vet wants me to start shooting 150 and above as well, but I was just nervous since she seems to be dipping low when I’m not around. I’ll definitely read that link.