7/27 Newman AMPS 282 shot 2.0, PMPS 308 shot 2.0 Time for increase?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes ma'am, lovely cycle!

Lee Renfro and Linda and Newman like this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Nice cycle today. He was flat and I am glad you did the retest to show that - for reassurance. He was over 200 so I am sure you shot the full dose but just haven’t updated your spreadsheet yet.

Linda and Newman likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

If you can, get a test before bed! Feeding a snack before bed would be good, too. Sorry about the bold text; I have no idea why my phone did that!

Lee Renfro and Linda and Newman like this.
  5. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

In hindsight, I wonder if I should have shot a reduced dose on last night's PMPS when I first got 225, waited 20 minutes and got 232. I shot the full 2.0. Looking at the sticky, between 200-300 a 50 - 75% dose is suggested. I didn't like that drop early in the cycle, knowing I would not be able to continue to test throughout the night.

As I try to understand, did that early drop, likely cause the higher number this morning?

Do you ever find a cat that settles on different doses AM and PM?

@FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Real fast because I am going out:

I don't think you did anything wrong. Look at the lovely blue last night. Just because he was pink this morning did not mean anything was wrong.... to the contrary, I think it's all very good. Look at the lovely string of blues last night (bit late for your unfortunately.) There was no dramatic diving. He flattened in blue which would have made me very comfortable going to bed. When I first looked at his spreadsheet this morning I thought... oh, a little bounce from all the blue yesterday. In fact, yesterday's whole day ... both cycles were very, very nice. I'm happy today that he's dropped down to yellow now.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

So you knew he was flat/rising at preshot time and if you look at his numbers over the whole day, he was definitely on the rise from the blues earlier in the cycle... this is a good indication that you did the right thing in shooting the 2 units. The beautiful results are also a very good indication. :)

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Really? I thought this was just for newbies who didn't have much data on how their cat will react. I don't have time to check it now. Can you tell me which part of which sticky says this? I doubt if it is a hard and fast rule for all time. "see you later."

9. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I have spent some time searching for that reference and have not found it. The sticky that I was thinking of only says "Above 200 but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise"

My concern was that the drop into blue came early in the cycle and I worried that he would get too low while I slept.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I do know where that reference is. Now I feel better because I'm familiar with that (not to say the other isn't there.)

I completely understand this! We aren't used to seeing Newman in blue at the +3 mark. Last time he did this it was June 19 on 2 units also, but it worked out okay like it did last night. Sorry you were up late.

11. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

It's time for him to eat so I am going to feed so that imposing the 2 hour food hold doesn't throw us off so late tonight. I wonder if he would continue to go down if he was not going to eat. I guess I will base his evening dose on whatever number I get two hours after he is done eating. @FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

Are you worried about a preshot at or below 200? I see you reduced his dose this morning and he stayed in yellow today.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

I am copying this from last week:

So in this case I leave it up to you, the options as I see it:
    • Go back to 1.75U and shoot that any time he's above 200. I'm not a fan of this because I feel like it's a step backwards. Before the last two days, we were considering an increase, so I'd hate to decrease.
    • Hold the 2U for a little longer to see if the last two days were more of a fluke, especially with the vomiting factored in. Give it any time he's above 200. This does run the risk of some sub-90s (I don't think below 60 though), so you have to weigh your situation vs your goals for his BG.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

So I am confused about the decision to shoot 1.5 this morning.

15. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I wondered if his numbers would have continued in a downward movement if it had not been time to feed him, In hindsight, I realize that I should not have made that post, it was confusing.

16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

His nadir is usually in the +4 to +7 window so I rather think he was already on his way up with the 216 ;)

17. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I posted in the remarks column in way of explanation, but apparently not very clearly. His fasting BG was 195 so I stalled for 30 minutes. While I was waiting, I was reviewing his spreadsheet for similar patterns. As noted, I saw that on 7/15 what seemed to me, right or wrong to be similar pattern. I saw that the fat 1.5 dose brought good results. On retest he had come up to 231.
    My notes say that between 200-300 I may want to shoot 50*75% dose. That made my choice would be 1-1.5 units. So the pattern on 7/15 seemed a guide and I decided on the fat 1.5 units.
    Newman was also being stubborn in his willingness to go with our usual routine. When he usually joined me at my desk on his own, no amount of coaxing or treat rattling, even placing the treats under his nose was working to get him to come to me until he was ready. I also knew that I had an appointment at the optician to select and order new glasses, later in the day. I have had a new prescription for almost 2 months!
    So, that is what my decision was based on.

18. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I get in the weeds and don't know which way to go. I appreciate the clarity.

FrostD likes this.
  19. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Fasting BG 206, then as predicted 15 minutes later, he tested 264, fed and shot 2.0. At +3.5 he was 241, then at +8.75 just before I was going to feed him I got a quick test. He was 40. Yikes, I thought, can that be? He then was keeping away from me so I tempted him and fed him a scant tablespoon of HC just in case. 10 minutes later, to confirm or disprove that 40, I was able to retest and got 172, doubtful it would be from the food that fast. What do you think? @ Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD

I will offer regular dinner FF up until 6PM and then test at 8PM and plan to shoot by 8:30.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  20. Suzanne & Darcy

There's a gap between the @ sign and my name... so I didn't get the tag. Let me read the thread and catch up.

21. Suzanne & Darcy

I don't see a lime green on your spreadsheet? You said he was 40?

22. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, okay. Yes, I think that 40 was a bad strip! But I bet that made your heart skip a beat... then beat wildly! It would have mine. Also, I would have been a bit frantic to get my hands on him. I would normally retest immediately... but I understand he was keeping away from you. I know you already know that it you get what seems like a wacky reading to retest immediately.

23. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I'm glad you saw the thread.
    Yes, I really thought it was a fluke, and was hoping it was, and I wanted to immediately retest to confirm. I used the HC food to tempt him and also, just in case it was a valid test. It didn't make sense, he seemed fine until he got so cranky!
    He is under the bed and hasn't eaten much dinner, so I may be able to move up the evening PMPS to at least 7:30, starting the food hold at 5:30.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

You know, just looking at your spreadsheet. I will tell you what I was thinking. I was thinking... look what a good job Linda does getting tests in on Newman, even with extra challenges at grabbing that boy for a test. You usually manage to get some tests to fill in the picture.

Shelley & Jess and FrostD like this.
  25. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks.

26. Suzanne & Darcy

So I'm thinking that maybe his number would have been a blue, maybe a little lower than the 172 you ended up with but probably nothing alarming. It was only ten minutes since the HC, so it wouldn't have had its full effect yet. I hope all will go smoothly at shot time tonight.

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  27. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Agree, bad strip!

28. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

At the moment, Newman's numbers are looking very nice! I am going to phone conference with some friends, shortly, but I just wanted to post what I think is good news. @Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  29. Suzanne & Darcy

I'm really glad that you tagged me on this. I just looked at his spreadsheet and... what a string of blues he's had. How did you ever get so many tests on him. What has he eaten today? It's a good day!

30. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

His eating pattern and content was what I consider normal in a day. He consumed one 3oz can of FF beginning with breakfast and stretching until about noon or a little after. Then the only food he gets would be bribes and treats for testing, mostly Dr Elsey Turkey Recipe or Wellness Chicken & Cranberries Recipe. At 4:45 I gave him a portion of another can of FF and when he abandons that, I begin the 2-hr hold on food. At 7:00 I tested him for PMPS and allowed him to continue eating the dinner FF.

31. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I love it!!

32. Suzanne & Darcy

Lovely day. I’m so glad you shot that 255 this morning with the full 2 units.

33. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

With clusters of blue on a few days then bam, back to pink preshots and seemingly flat yellow. Should I be increasing? How about .25 increase?

@Suzanne & Darcy
    @FrostD

I appreciate if you all have a chance to take a look. Thanks.

34. Suzanne & Darcy

It does look like you have the wiggle room to increase by .25 units. Any differences that you can account for on the pink preshot days? Food? I’m thinking not, but thought I would ask.

35. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes I'd say room to increase by 0.25U

36. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

No real difference, he is pretty consistent in timing and in the amount of food.

37. Suzanne & Darcy

Good evening, Linda! I thought about you several times today but never got a chance to check in on Newman's spreadsheet to see how the increase was going. I was wondering if there would be some New Dose Wonkiness. Now I see that you did not increase yet. Was it not a good day to do the increase? I see you got a lot of test in though. How is everything? Hope all is well.

FrostD and Linda and Newman like this.
  38. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hey Suzanne, I'm just getting here myself. Lots to do today in many different directions. I expect that I can do an increase tomorrow, unless his AMPS number is, as you might say, wonky. Thanks for checking up on us. All is well here. Have a good night.