7/28 Oberon AMPS 164, no shot, +7 364

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...1-123-2-120-9-164-first-day-on-lantus.232769/

Quick intro (since I didn't do it yesterday) and then an update...

Oberon (age 10, normal weight about 13 lbs) was diagnosed in December after appetite increase and weight loss. He was on Lantus for about 2 weeks but also switched to low carb diet (FF Classic pate; added Young Again Zero in March so I could get the other cats off the dry Science Diet but he doesn't eat very much of it). That put him into remission so we stopped Lantus. In July, he had some weight loss and appetite loss due to mild pancreatitis; BG was also elevated. Treated pancreatitis with Cerenia and Mirataz. Appetite came back but BG was still up- pretty consistently around 300 for about 2 weeks.

Yesterday the vet started Lantus (1 U) and checked pre (400) and post (362) shot to watch for hypoglycemia. When I tested before his evening shot, BG was 132, so I skipped the shot. BG was ~120 a couple of hours later, and 164 before breakfast this morning. Waiting to hear back from the vet to decide how to proceed with the Lantus today.

2. Lisa & Oberon

The vet wants me to hold off on Lantus for today; he's going to check in with an endocrinologist colleague and get back to me tomorrow. I'll continue to do spot checks today. (He also mentioned that the higher values at the office yesterday compared to my numbers could be because of different meters, venous vs. capillary blood, and/or stress hyperglycemia. Doesn't change the overall pattern, though.)

3. Lisa & Oberon

BG 364 this afternoon, so yesterday's 10 am Lantus has definitely cleared his system. Hoping the vet is able to get back to me early tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've ordered a ketone meter just in case. He's eating and acting normally (he just beat up the kitten), so I think he's doing ok for now.