7/28 Samba PMPS 246 +2 124 +3 48 +3.66 31 +5 44 +5.33 47 +5.66 48 +6 69 +6.33 62 +6.66 74 +7.5 166

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah Mc, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you haven't already, I would add a couple drops of karo to what you are feeding. He needs to get out the 30's ASAP!

Up Samba. :eek:

3. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Okay, thank you...will do. I haven't had to do that yet, but I have both karo & honey on hand

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I always reached for the karo/corn syrup under 40.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  5. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Thank you...will start doing the same. He is being a little fussy about it, dipping his adorable paw in his food to taste test it off his paw first, then eating a bite, then walking away, then returning to the bowl...
    I just added a couple drops to one tsp of the HC Fancy Feast I've been giving him all night, but I guess he can tell the difference.

Now he's finished with it :rolleyes:

6. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

@Wendy&Neko, should I give him more Karo? Since I gave it to him 20 minutes ago, he has dropped 2 points from 36 to 34 (so I guess he has probably stayed the same). How often should I be giving drops of Karo? Thanks!!

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Not Wendy but I'd give a little more karo and test in 20 minutes.

Sarah Mc and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Samba's numbers aren't moving. If Samba won't eat HC or HC + karo, place some karo on the gums.

Sarah Mc and tiffmaxee like this.
  9. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Thank you...I just tested 20 minutes after his last test (34), and he's now at 44 without giving additional Karo but continuing to feed small amounts of 20% fancy feast. After seeing your message, I had planned to add more Karo this time, but when I saw that he had moved up to the 40s, I chose not to. Do you agree what what I did or should I have given more Karo regardless of the number rising?

10. tiffmaxee

I think 20% should work. Keep testing every 20 minutes.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  11. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

He's at 47 now 20 minutes later. I put another tsp of 20% in his bowl, but now he is refusing to touch it... this is the first time that he has refused to eat HC food that I have put out for him. Any tips? :)

12. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Would I place the Karo on his gums directly with my finger or how is best to do that?

13. tiffmaxee

Did you try to finger feed? Have any Gerbers baby food? All mine gave liked it. If he won't eat you will need to rub a little karo on his gums.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  14. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Next test in 3 minutes, so I will try to finger feed then. No, I don't have any Gerbers :( but for the future, what flavor and how much should I feed in this situation? What's the carb content on that stuff?

I have some slightly expired (by a couple months) Temptations that he used to love before diabetes and are, I think, 41% carbs. Should I give him one of those?

15. Red & Rover (GA)

You put a bit of karo on your index finger and swipe your finger along the inside side of the mouth (between the teeth and the inside of the mouth).

Sarah Mc likes this.
  16. tiffmaxee

I'd get the all meat ones, chicken, beef, turkey and my cat's fave which is ham. It's not high carb but you can add karo to it if he won't eat the hc. They are 2nds Do you have any gravy lovers fancy feast? You can use the lid to get just the gravy which is where the carbs are and won't fill him up too fast.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  17. Red & Rover (GA)

Make sure the baby food does not contain onions or garlic.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  18. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Thanks so much...I will buy those at the store tomorrow. I've been giving him beef gravy lovers FF but have not been using the lid to separate the gravy. I remember now you suggesting that to me awhile back, but I forgot to do it that way. I will do it that way from now on and try some of the other gravy lovers flavors to see if he likes any better than this one. He has never had issue with it before until tonight, but you're right, he's probably full. I'm so used to him always having an appetite. Thanks so much for the tips. I was able to finger feed him the FF and that worked...he licked it right off my fingers, sweet boy.

19. Red & Rover (GA)

If Samba is full, you may want to try just the karo if he hasn't come up by the next test.

20. tiffmaxee

That's great that you could get him to eat. It's hard sometimes when you have to keep feeding so often to bring them up and they are no longer hungry. One other food Max loved was Soulistic Triple Harmony. It's really high carb and mostly gravy. That and Gerbers all meat 2nds which don't contain garlic or onion were my go to foods if he wasn't eating. Petco carries Soulistic. You are doing great. He should start to come up soon.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  21. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

He's at 69 now (1st test above 50), but thank you for teaching me about how to use the Karo

22. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Cool, we'll try out the soulistic, as well as Gerbers. Thank you!!!! :bighug::bighug:

23. Red & Rover (GA)

You are doing great.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  24. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Thank you!! :) Unfortunately, he is back down to 62, so I am concerned the food might be starting to wear off and I will continue to monitor closely. He is sleeping soundly now, so I didn't disturb him by trying to push more food, but would you try to give Karo or finger feed gravy again now? I will test again in 20.

25. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Btw, no wonder I was only buying the beef gravy lovers FF... I forgot that all the other flavors, according to Dr. Lisa, are only 15-16%. Is that percentage high enough to be worth trying as an alternative to the beef flavor or should I just stick with the 20% beef gravy? Either way, I will purchase some soulistic and see what he thinks of it

26. Red & Rover (GA)

Okay, he's not coming up on his own yet. He has been low for quite the while, unless he is rising, if he doesn't want to eat, I'd carb him up with karo.

If he is rising, let's see if he can continue.

Must be nice to sleep while humans are alert and awake. I've always had the theory that cats steal sleep from others.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  27. tiffmaxee

I'd try some of the others in case he needs a different taste and add a couple drops of karo if needed. He might just surf with a little food. Let's see the next test.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  28. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Sounds good. I'll buy them tomorrow. He's at 74 now, and I haven't fed in an hour. I was gonna test again in 45 (+7.5) without feeding and see if he continues to come up. Would that be fine?

29. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Looks like he might be rising- he is at 74 now without food for an hour. If he dips again, I'll Karo him up!!! :smuggrin:

30. tiffmaxee

We generally like to see them up forbrwo hours without food but if he's good in 45 I'd feel safe calling it a night. I'd leave a little food out just in case then though. You have things under control :)

Red & Rover (GA) and Sarah Mc like this.
  31. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

LOL!!! You're onto something big there...nobody finds me adorable when I can't keep my eyes open o_O but somehow he is the most precious thing when his are shut. Yeah he couldn't give a damn about all of my efforts I'm sure!! I am just a minor nusiance and irritant when I prick him. If we only counted all of the hours of sleep our kitties have stolen from us in L& L land...

Red & Rover (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  32. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Thanks :) I'll see how he's doing! Who knows w/ him honestly

tiffmaxee likes this.
  33. tiffmaxee

He's a cat! One of Max's nicknames around here was Mr. Unpredictable lol.

Sarah Mc likes this.
  34. Red & Rover (GA)

As I don't have a cat at the moment, there is not one to steal my sleep. I'm heading to bed. Nice job, @tiffmaxee and Sarah.

35. Sarah Mc

Sarah Mc Member

Aw...sleep well and thank you so much for your help tonight!! :bighug: :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.