7/28 Toeby AMBG - 124, +4= 137, PMBG 113 , +3= 128

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Yesterday's thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...iven-3-92-pmbg-is-99-no-insulin-given.232737/

Good Morning - Toeby was 124 this morning, which is higher than yesterday's PS checks, but still below 150.

I left food out all night for them as I've been worried about Toeby's eating and the bowls were pretty clean, so I am hoping that is why his number might be up a wee bit?
    Regardless, no insulin for him this morning.

We have someone from the power company coming today to do a draft test on the house, so no doubt that will freak them out a bit, and probably push up his BG levels, but we'll deal with that tonight.

Cheers!
    Laura

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Way to go, Toeby!

3. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Living with cats keeps you humble... when you're outsmarted by a 10 lb animal...

He threw up at noon just before we left for a few hours, which in itself is NOT unusual..
    He's been a barfer all his life, and I have been feeding him some new flavours and brands of canned food.
    But because I am a nervous Nellie, I picked up some Ketostix to check his urine for ketones.
    What I've read on here about DKA scares me.

Got home, pulled the top off their box (1 of 2 boxes is the covered variety), cleaned the box, and immediately he jumped in.
    Went to slip the ladle under his butt - oh NO, he was having none of that, and off he ran.
    Hmmph.
    Then, moments later, he returns to the box - I try again with the ladle, and again, off he runs.
    I think I'm keeping tabs on his location in the living room while I take out my contacts and turn on the computer and into the box he goes - this time he has a BM as I watch.
    He leaves the box, I go to clean up the BM, and what else do I find?
    A pee... he had to have snuck in while I wasn't watching.
    Sigh.

He is eating, and does have an appetite.
    But if I get a chance, I'm checking for ketones, just to be sure.
    I'm sure the pee he had without my presence hovering over him was very satisfying to him, indeed.
    :cat:

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Don't let one barf make you jump straight to DKA...when a cat's got ketones, he's usually not going to want to eat at all and they usually act like they don't feel good....like hiding, being very lethargic, etc.

With all that jumping in/out of the litter box, sounds like he's got plenty of energy!!

Laurasboyz likes this.
  5. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Good evening!

Toeby's BG tonight was 113, and he was hungry, which is a good thing.
    I will keep an eye on his food intake - he's actually eating again as I type this.

SLGS protocol guidelines indicate to not give him insulin, so I am going to skip it again.
    Laura

6. Chris & China (GA)

Get a +3 if you can....be interesting to see if the number comes down (which would mean his pancreas is doing something!)

Laurasboyz likes this.
  7. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

His +3 was 128 - up slightly from 113 at PMPS time.
    He did eat low carb wet food between the two tests.
    Given that the number didn't come down, should I be doing anything differently?
    My plan is to see what happens in the morning, and continue to follow the SLGS guidelines (and I get that they are guidelines only, not hard and fast rules).

8. Chris & China (GA)

Well darn, that's disappointing!

Next time he gives you a low blue preshot, only feed him at his usual shot time.....no more after that until the +3

Laurasboyz likes this.
  9. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Alrighty, will do!
    Thank you!