7/8 Snuggie: PMPS 154; +7 202; +10.5 375 () AMPS 327; +7 131; +8.5 111

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jay Dee, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

We are both struggling today. I think his run of greens was really hard on us. The state of anxiety for me that goes along with new to us low numbers, my constant hovering and sheer number of ear pricks for him. He ran from me so many times yesterday. He’s only gotten his fluids a few days this week as a result. It’s going to be too hot for a 10 hr ride on the motos today so we are delaying our big day trip, and while i am disappointed to see the pinks and yellows appearing in what I was hoping to be a dose decrease, I’m happy for a break in the constant state of low key anxiety that the greens were producing.

yesterday - https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-7-snuggie-pmps-301-8-282-amps-113-4-25-204-9-273.249548/

2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you and your Snuggie are so stressed out. I understand that when first getting the greens can be a very anxious time - especially at night when all you want to do is sleep. When you get greens that you are uncomfortable with you should try feeding medium carb or high carb food. When I want to sleep at night, and Susie is in the greens, I will always feed her a little medium carb food. If she is really low, like in the 60s or lower, I will bring out the "big guns" and feed a little high carb. I'm sure a lot of folks on this site won't like me telling you this but stress can certainly affect you and much as your kitty. This doesn't mean that you can stop testing but you can bring him up. Just keep in mind that the food does not last forever. I really want someone who can better advise to come on and help you. Let's see if we can't make that happen by tagging:

@Wendy & Neko or @tiffmaxee or @carfurby or @JaxBeni

Jay Dee likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

While a little higher carbs if you need a break, I would avoid feeding hc unless you really can’t watch or need to leave. Usually a little mc will help, especially if later in the cycle. It is scary when not used to numbers in the two digit range, especially if early in the cycle when they have hours until nadirs or late at night when tired. For most it gets easier once you learn how your cat reacts to food. :bighug:

4. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

@Summer and Susie and @tiffmaxee thank you so much for understanding and offering advice! It’s starting to make sense - the whole feeding the curve thing. With @Wendy&Neko ’s help I’ve gotten to a shot time so onset and nadirs happen at times of the day (well - night Lol) that still ensure I get a reasonable number of hours of sleep so no 2 am wake ups. That has helped TREMENDOUSLY! But yea it’s still the underlying stress of it all that I know you’ve all been thru so thank you for understanding the newbie here :)

I did read a lot this week and went back thru all your earlier comments and links from last week and I feel much better prepared for next time - I think we really earned this week off!

I do want to happily report that today he jumped on my lap and actually stayed there and settled in like he used to - for a solid hour. He’s done this bit by bit over the last month but hasn’t stayed more than 5 min and never got comfy but today was 100% “like his old self” - yay!!! (He loves the blanket - I was dying of heat but wasn’t about to move!)
    upload_2021-7-8_14-37-54.jpeg

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so happy your boy isn't running from you and that he settled into your lap. That is the true "payoff". Isn't it? When kitty accepts the situation and still trusts you. He is a beautiful, big fluff ball. Prayers for your learning and knowing how to handle these situations to keep him safe and you sane. It is, as they say, the "sugar dance" and it is not always easy but when we love them it is necessary.

Jay Dee likes this.
  6. Jay Dee

Jay Dee Member

You’re so sweet, thank you!! It sure is a dance with a lot of ups and downs isn’t it!!!

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Over time you will get to the place where you start to see patterns in his numbers (lasting over a few cycles) and understand his reaction to carbs. With acros, it's not important to try to keep them surfing the greens. If you need to give HC so you know he's safe for a while, that's OK. Many a time I'd give Neko some HC, or put HC in her feeder so I could get out for a few hours and know she'd be safe.

Nice to see blues back again. :cool:

Jay Dee likes this.