7/9 Monty / AMPS 196 / PMPS 130 / Questions about TR with feline glucometer

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tom & Monty, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Solo tested :D

Not getting any mid day readings today as I'm busy but 196 is "high for Monty" so I feel comfortable injecting regardless.

Got another PM reading last cycle, going for a PM +5 tonight. I'll get a +6 at the weekend when I don't need to work the next day.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Well done getting the solo test done!
    And good to see some pm tests as well.

3. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Monty has started to gain weight (5.6kg -> 5.7kg), I suspect this is likely because he's eating the same amount of food as before but he's now getting blues consistently. I'm going to reduce his calorie intake and not change his dose, monitoring how it impact numbers.

4. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Once I'm more comfortable with testing consistently (which won't be long) I'd like to give TR a try to see if I can push him into remission.

His dose has dropped lower and lower and in the last 2 weeks a yellow is becoming rare for him. The TR guide is calibrated against human glucometers but I use an AlphaTrak 2, does anyone have advice on how I interpret the increase, hold and decrease thresholds with a feline glucometer?

5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

The reference ranges in both protocols were developed with folk using human meters, and as such both dosing methods assume you use a human meter.

There is no way of 'converting' pet meter numbers to human meter numbers, there isn't a scale you can use.
    After some members did extensive testing using both meters it was determined that the reduction point for TR was 68 on a pet meter (it is 50 on a human meter), this was devised to keep kitties safe as folk started using pet meters (back when this board first started there were no kitty specific meters, or at least they were not readily available).

Unfortunately for the other numbers referenced there is no conversion as such. Most folk just use the same ranges.
    I used a human meter and followed TR, usually the strips are much more economical than the pet meter strips, and with the amount of testing I did, it saved me a lot of €€€ :)

I would suggest you keep the AT as a back up and use a human meter, that's what I would do. :);)

Tom & Monty and tiffmaxee like this.
  6. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

PMPS came in 130 (AlphaTrak). I'm thinking skip since it's still below 150 and I don't have time to stall this evening.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You could also do a token dose like you did the other night with the 139. Nice run of blue you have going. See what others say.

8. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

I skipped. Lucky I did since he isn't eating much tonight. I'll keep an eye on that tomorrow

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good call.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Eventually you'll want to shoot the full dose with those low blues, and even high greens. I hope he gives you the chance to do some some day when you can monitor.