7/9 Pearl AMPS 89, +4 94 question about using calipers at small doses

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Jul 9, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning and happy Friday!

I took off this week to work on organizing my very cluttered home. So far so good and my brain is working. So I will continue to take off from work next week - my goal is to get my entire home in order (this honestly would be a miracle hasn't happened in 6 years but I am closer than ever before this time! I have Lyme disease and that messes with brain things like organization and fatigue stuff)

Pearl is doing well. Most days she eats, some days her pattern is different. She likes having me here.

My plan is to stay at this dose for 3 more days (approx), then drop to 0.25U.

Question: at what point do you stop using the calipers? I am NOT reliable to draw up insulin with my own eyes in the morning, so I want to continue the calipers as long as possible. I estimate we have 3 doses left to go: 0.25, 0.12, then the drop dose (if all goes according to plan) - yes?? Can I use the calipers until the drop dose? (I do know how to draw up a drop dose manually that one is easy).

Surf safely kitties!

7/6 post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-6-pearl-pmps-93.249499/#post-2814978

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Sorry I am no help with calipers. I'm just stopping by to say hello and that I'm glad you are having a good week off of organizing -- and next week, too! I'm sorry about the Lyme Disease. How long have you had it? Are you receiving treatment for it?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used the calipers to 0.1 units, but that was with R, not Levemir. Neko never got on that tiny a dose with her Levemir. The zero lines were so bad on the syringes, I needed the calipers. 0.1, and sometimes 0.25 units were under the zero line on some syringes. :rolleyes:

Good luck with that new dose when you get to it.

4. Margaret (and Pearl)

I agree, the lines are atrocious, and I know I have good quality needles too. I will keep using the calipers until I get to the drop dose. Thanks Wendy!

5. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks for your encouragement Suzanne! You've been on my mind, so it was so nice to see your comment here.

I've had Lyme disease about 40 years, diagnosed only for 6 when I ended up bedridden for a year. I am in treatment, yes. Some things work better than others. Most not very effective at all. It's a back-and-forth kind of journey. I lost my ability to organize and think clearly oftentimes so it is a BIG DEAL for me to make sense of things in my house. I am still working! It's a miracle, this is day 5! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, if I can just get this pit organized, I think it will take a lot of mental and emotional stress of my life!

Hugs to you!