7/9 Toeby - AMPS 180, PMPS 144, +2.75 40, +3 41, + 3.3 41, +4 32, +4.5 103, +4.8 149, +5 218, +6 311

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Did you reduce a little last night? Spreadsheet says .60 instead of .75.

3. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Yes, I reduced to the 0.6....which is what I call a "Fat 0.5"
    It's not the reduction of 0.25 the TR method calls for, it just made me feel better because I felt quite sure he was going to drop based on his preshot.

4. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Okay, it's morning shot time and I haven't received have firm direction from an advisor yet.
    I am going to give another 0.6, knowing I can always drop down to 0.5, a full 0.25 deduction as per TR protocol, if that's advisable.
    I think I would rather be at 0.5 and see how he goes, but will wait for the voices of experience...
    :)
    Hellooo? LOL!!!
    ETA I am just goofing around, I realize humour doesn't always translate.
    I know advisors are extreeeeemely busy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

If you don't hear back from anybody just go with your gut. Good luck, Laura.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  6. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

A few minutes before a full 3 hours after his PM insulin, Toeby checks out at 40
    I have given him some HC gravy food
    Will check again in 20 minutes.

I have not heard from any one other than the question @tiffmaxee posed last night about whether I dropped to 0.60 last night, which I responded to (I did go to 0.60 from 0.75 last night, which is not a full 0.25 drop).
    I think he has to be at the most only 0.50, not 0.60, and given this reading 40 tonight, possibly 0.25 units?
    I would greatly appreciate any input from advisors on this cluster of sub 50 readings as seen on my chart.
    Laura - tagging
    @tiffmaxee
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Christie & Maverick

7. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Laura, I'm not the most experienced at dosing, but I'd use .25 increments to decrease with Toeby given how many times he's dipped below 50 recently. A fat .5 is too much it seems, so .5 might be better or even .25 to see how he does with that and go up if you need to again. Safety first is the motto here, and it will allow you to get some rest from the testing and feeding. You can always go up by .125 (or a fat .25) as soon as you see his numbers floating higher and it's a failed reduction.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

As a long term diabetic he didn’t earn the reduction yesterday but has tonight. Try .25.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  9. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You may still be seeing a little of the 0.75u depot, I might go to 0.5u myself, since numbers came up ok with a little HC before, but if you are more comfortable trying 0.25u that's ok too. Especially if he keeps lingering around here tonight even with HC.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  10. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Appreciate the input, Katherine and Elise!
    Elise, are you thinking he should that be down 0.25 from the 0.75 he was at yesterday morning, so start tomorrow morning at 0.50?
    Or 0.25 down from what he got today, the 0.60, to give him 0.35, or basically 0.25 units tomorrow morning?
    I am leaning towards giving him 0.25 units and seeing where he goes from there...

He is not coming up fast, just as he did not last night....
    Testing again in 20 minutes
    Laura

11. Christie & Maverick

Just saw your +3. Last night's cycle he floated around 50, tonight he's dabbling lower. If you are finding the numbers are hard to bring up, I'd say 0.25u tomorrow is the better option, for safety.

Katherine&Ruby and Laurasboyz like this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree, I'd go to 0.5 units too. Paw crossed he comes up for you soon.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Editted to add, unless he goes below 40, in which case a full 0.25 unit reduction is recommended. I guess that makes it 0.35 units?

14. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

20 minutes later he is still 41
    Testing again in another 20 minutes.
    So I think this qualifies as being hard to bring up tonight.
    I gave him a few Temptations as well as several brands of food in gravy... I haven't broken out the corn syrup or anything else, just food so far.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  15. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

20 minutes later, at what I am entering on SS as PM +4 and he is 32!!!
    I gave him a big dollop of corn syrup mixed in with some FF gravy and thankfully, he ate it.
    Making constant posts has distracted me, but this is kinda scary....

16. Katherine&Ruby

I think a reduction to .25 units is warranted at this point, Laura. Up, up, up, Toeby!

Laurasboyz likes this.
  17. Christie & Maverick

You're doing fine, Laura, good you gave some syrup. Post when you can, just so we know everything's going okay.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  18. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Yay!! +4.5 we'll call it... he is 103 - Phew!
    I gave him some honey mixed into some FF, with some of his probiotics on top to be sure he was enticed to eat, as he was seeming to not be so interested in snacking.
    Between the shot of corn syrup or the shot of honey, wow, that worked fast.
    32 to 103 in one swoop.

19. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

And, will add that I am not turning in yet based on that, I will test him more to be sure he is staying up there.

20. Christie & Maverick

Better at +4.5. I'd test in another 20 minutes to see the number is stable, since the syrup can wear off quickly. Best to continue with a few more tests, once they're stable above 50 you want to see 2 consecutive tests about 30-45 minutes apart, without HC or syrup intervention.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  21. Katherine&Ruby

I'm wondering if his pancreas has been finally healing from being off the prednisolone for a while now and he might be able to kick the insulin habit soon. He's been doing really well for the past few weeks despite the budesonide EOD.

22. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

He is 149 twenty minutes after the 103 - I didn't give him any HC or treats this time.
    Will check again shortly.

The power went off outside of town - my friend just Messaged me to see if we had power in town (post-tropical storm Elsa's winds).
    I would have LOST IT if I was dealing with this with no power, fumbling with my phone to post results, so, there's a good thing! ;)

Katherine, I too am wondering if the distance off the prednisolone, and the reduced budesonide has something to do with it.
    I cannot allow myself to think he may get off the insulin tonight, but geez that would be awesome, of course, if it happened.
    I have a longish story about the budesonide, but I can't get into that now... he is still on 1 mg every other day, as my SS shows.
    The new vet I am working with on the budesonide saw his SS and said she thought I was running him too low, and gosh darn it if he didn't have to go hypo tonight... now she can look at the SS and say "I told you so..." :)
    Oh well.

23. Katherine&Ruby

I know you were thinking of doing .5 mg budesonide every day, but he seems to be doing well BG wise, and if the budesonide is helping his IBD at bay then it's a good thing. What I've learned from Ruby being on steroids is that it can be a bit of a roll of the dice, so if you can keep him safer on less insulin, that's probably best for you and him so you wouldn't have to worry so much. Now that those pinks have basically disappeared, keeping him below 200 is a good goal. :bighug:

Laurasboyz likes this.
  24. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

+5 is 218... Oops... looks like I over-cooked it.

Oh well, I guess if being heavy handed on the syrup and honey is the worst thing that happened tonight, all is good.
    He is drinking lots of water after that concoction.
    I'll test him again before I turn in.

The new vet suggested I could try to give him the 0.5 budesonide capsules that I ordered daily for 2 weeks, then switch to 0.5 every other day for a couple weeks, and call before re-ordering.
    However, the capsules are quite big now that I have them in hand (I picked them up last Friday, but wanted to hear from her, and didn't hear until Wednesday evening this week)
    I think I'd rather just toss them and work with the 1 mg tablets and chews and maybe work on staying with the 1 mg every other day, or maybe try 1 mg every 3 days...
    He takes the tiny tablets and the chews so well...
    I don't want to fight with him or upset him with swallowing big capsules, or throw too much more of a variable into his total course of treatment.
    And, as you point out, it doesn't currently look like the budesonide is affecting his BGs.

Before I forget to say it when I turn in, sincere thanks to everyone for their help tonight... I truly appreciate the support.
    Laura

25. Katherine&Ruby

Better too high than too low. He will come down again. You did the right thing. Good night, Laura. :bighug:

Laurasboyz likes this.
  26. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

+6 311.... Oh my... Oh well. Good night!