8/1 Catman has me confused

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceR, Aug 1, 2020.

1. AliceR

AliceR Member

How long do bounces last? Anyone want to take a glance at Catman's spreadsheet and tell me if I'm missing something? After the MC (11%) so I could sleep during his surf he has been on 1% to 3% carb FF. His behavior is totally normal his ketones are neutral.

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

He looks like he's in bounce mode from hitting those nice greens the other day...If you look back at the last time he hit the greens, it took him 5 days to clear the bounce.

He's new at this stuff...so give him time. His body is responding to those very unfamiliar low blood glucose numbers. His liver has perceived this new and strange lower blood glucose as a terrible thing - and it's dumping every bit of stored up glycogen it has to spare into his blood stream...so just ride it out. Let's hope he'll clear this bounce at least within the same 5 days that he did it last time...as time goes on, he will clear the bounces faster and faster.

It takes time...

AliceR likes this.
  3. AliceR

AliceR Member

Your reply was one of the most clear, most succinct explanations I have found about bounce, clearing and depot (which is I think what you were talking about with the liver). How wonderful to have you and everyone on this board available as a resource!

SaraW1983 and Sue and Luci like this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yes, that bouncing term had me a bit flummoxed in the beginning too. And I showed her SS to my vet in Florida and he told me it was the Smogyi
    effect...oh boy..that sent me surfing off into research land...and I soon found that the term Smogyi is somewhat outdated..but it did help me understand a little bit of what that syndrome was all about....and the forum helped me understand it even more. And once I wrapped my head around it being a perfectly normal response of their little bodies - it all made perfect sense! It's a normal defense mechanism - triggered by that by now strange low blood glucose in their blood stream. It's not the most comforting thing to see those crazy erratic numbers, but it does help you if you understand why they're happening.

The next trick...and this is a good one, is to try to avoid those super low numbers by 'steering'...look that one up here on the forum. Steering them with food to keep them from going to low will help prevent those crazy high numbers...but it's like walking a tight-rope in an ice storm...not easy...but just keep trying...and you'll get those numbers to be more level. It does require being one step ahead of our magician kitties at all times...which is very challenging...but when you get there...you'll be on the road to remission...that wonderful place where we'd all love to be.... and many kitties get there. Some are just more stubborn about it than others.

:)

Sonia & Leo and AliceR like this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Today is cycle six after the last greens, maybe he'll clear the bounce tonight. Some cats will go high before going low, so don't let a high PMPS lull you into not testing tonight - should it happen.

By the way, you've held the 2.5 unit dose more than long enough for TR. Time for an increase, though I'd wait until tomorrow. In case he decides to clear that bounce tonight. Bounce clearing plus increase on the same cycle can provide a bit to much excitement for a PM cycle.

AliceR likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Bounces typically can last up to 3 days/6 cycles. Some cats take a little longer. As your cat's body gets better acclimated to lower numbers the bounces should be shorter and less extreme.

AliceR likes this.
  7. AliceR

AliceR Member

I've read a lot of threads about the inconsistency of carbohydrate percentages from can to can but I bought a 30 pack of seafood flavored classic fancy feast pâtés most of which are 0% or 1% carbohydrate. I'm wondering if that is part of the mix. He basically went from dry food to low-carb food very quickly and perhaps his little liver is unhappy about that as well. I've started feeding him fancy feast classic pate beef which is 3% carbohydrate probably not a significant difference from salmon but maybe he won't be quite so bouncy?

I've also gotten to the point where I'm not going to bed at night without testing because these past couple of late night blues and greens have me on alert and I don't sleep well when I'm on alert!

If he is still up in the 300s tomorrow morning I will definitely push 2.75.....

Good thing this is all happening during the COVID-19 PHE because otherwise I’d have an hour commute to work Monday through Friday and DH is busy with our cushionoid gelding and new puppy.... Plus Catman is really his best friend and I think this is all too hard for him (DH not Catman, Catman is thrilled with the shift to fancy feast and is tolerating the ear pokes just for some yummy food).

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just an FYI -- some cats actually do a little better with a low carb food that's not at the very low end of the range. You may need to experiment to see if that's the case with Catman. A lot can depend on how carb sensitive your cat is.

As for DH, one of the things that I think surprises most of us is that our cats seem to understand that all of those pokes with sharp objects help them to feel better. As a result, there is an incredible bond that develops. A lot of vets will tell you that home testing will ruin your relationship with your cat. I don't think I've really seen that to be the case. It's just the opposite. Of course, as you noted, treats and food do wonders to help the process along.

9. AliceR

AliceR Member

Just to follow up. He was at 280 this morning so I think I gave him 2.75 u but it just as easily could have been 3; even with the ½ units markings, bright light and 2.50 power readers, I can tell.

Will test at +3, +6, and +9 as usual, more if needed of course, lets hope if floats gently on the blue ocean vs surfing on a sea of green!

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.