8/11/20 Little 39@+6

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa and little, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

So 39 is an automatic reduction but wondering if someone could take a peek at my SS for the last few days. I knew I was shooting on numbers that were still going down this AM and I did change from shooting the scruff to shooting the shoulder on 8/8. That hadn’t made a difference when I was using other Insulins but this time it looks like it’s definitely having an effect. she was completely flat in the 200s last night until +10 and even that wasn’t a significant drop. Question is- do you think the 200s were a bounce from being so low yesterday? I’m used to seeing bounces higher than 200s with more fluctuation and not flat. Any advice on the reduction? Would you do a full.25 or just shave the dose a bit? I feel like all I’m doing is going back and forth between 3.5 and 4 with no consistency to the numbers. Could the change from shooting the scruff to shooting the shoulder have made this much of a difference? Frustrated and haven’t been sleeping much with all the testing. Really trying to work this to some form of consistency. Thanks again as always to anyone who chimes in!
    PS- no hypo symptoms whatsoever in the 40s or even the 30s we’ve had of late.

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Are you carbing for that 39?

3. Briere Fur Mom

You need more than LC. Do you have anything that higher than 10%?

4. Briere Fur Mom

When you see #s in the 30s it's time to break out the big guns. You know your cats carb sensitivity but I would be inclined to offer a Tsp of HC food

5. Briere Fur Mom

And #s in the 30s is an automatic reduction of .25u

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Briere Fur Mom

After you give the HC food please re-test in 30 mins

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Please don't wait for 'symptoms'...once they begin - lethargy, wobbling, drooling, etc. it may be too late. Your guide is the blood glucose readings. As Briere Fur Mom mentioned above, please feed your kitty some higher carb food. If you don't have any gravy style foods on hand, give her a couple of drops of honey, sryup, karo syrup, ice cream...just one or two drops should do it. The last test at 39 and then another at 37 is not a good sign that things are going in the right direction.

Please test again soon and post with your new number.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Even long term diabetics earn a reduction if they ever go under 40 which I see Little is. She needed that reduction yesterday. . Safety first!

Briere Fur Mom and Sue and Luci like this.
  9. Lisa and little

Thanks guys. I actually don’t go for HC right away as LC always brings her back safe and believe me I don’t take my eyes off of her. We’re good at 47 now. Xoxox to all Didn’t mean to freak anyone out.

Sue and Luci and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  10. Briere Fur Mom

You know your cat...but here's that but...I wouldn't want my boy playing with the sharks for too long. I would still food prop a 47. :)

11. tiffmaxee

I agree that I would feed and if lc works fine. You want Little over 50 without food for two hours. You didn’t reduce yesterday so that makes this even more crucial.

Sue and Luci and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  12. Sue and Luci

Any time Luci is down that low, I get more tests...test and test until she's really cleared away from that part of the lagoon...Those numbers can potentially slip back down at any time...scary business if it does. You're doing fine...just keep testing :)

13. Lisa and little

Thanks Sue. Testing away lately! Her poor ears. Can someone show me how to link a previous thread? I have one from 7/12 where Sienne said some cats “needing to be in the 40’s”. Can’t find anymore Info that speaks to that @Sienne and Gabby (GA) Can you please Shed some more light on that?

14. Lisa and little

I did reduce yesterday at PM but shaved the dose as advised when reductions are close together.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

Click on FDMB.com and paste should come up. Was it on your condo?

16. tiffmaxee

Kyle & Simon (GA) and thebigfuzz like this.
  17. Lisa and little

Couldn’t link the old thread. This is best I can do with my technically challenged self. This is the first time I ever heard anything about some cats needing to be in the 40s. Can someone elaborate. 6532069F-04B0-493A-98DE-0459C7BA2C68.jpeg
    Actually RE reading this it says UNDER 40

18. tiffmaxee

I linked it already.

19. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Lisa and little likes this.
  20. Lisa and little

Thank you! Any thoughts on what Sienne referenced? I’ve never heard that before

21. Sue and Luci

So, if you're using a computer this is easy: Just copy the url from the top bar

Here's the one from today: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-11-20-little-39-6.233489/#post-2609353

and click ctrl/v to paste it into your condo. If you want to get a little fancier you can type the words 'Previous Condo' or something along those lines, after you copy it - then click on the link picture at the top of your condo and paste it there...The words 'Previous Condo' will then have the link embedded in it...we do it every day for historical purposes. It's very helpful to know what was said previously.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  22. Sue and Luci

So I see you've already gotten some explanations... :)

And my rule of thumb is if Luci drops 3 x under 50 and once under 40, she earns a reduction. She's proven to have a hard time holding reductions...

I hope this is helpful :)

P.S. Please add AMPS ### to your title for today. :)

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa to link the thread from the day before or any other thread you posted go to it, all the way up top where the picture of the cat is , that is your previous thread or a thread you are looking , it'sall the way at the top in the long are where it starts with
    https://www.feline diabetes.com/FDMB/threads. That is your previous thread
    Tap on that and the word copy will appear, hit copy the go to your new post you want to do and put that in where you would start writing, press down in that area and the word paste will appear hit it, it will then appear. I use a tablet.
    Hope this helps @Lisa and little

Sue and Luci likes this.
  24. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I think she is just referencing the part of the protocol that for long term diabetics the reduction occurs for numbers under 40. It sounded to me like the post was a reminder of the protocol, rather than a specific advisement? At least, that's how I read it?

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing

thebigfuzz likes this.
  26. tiffmaxee

I think Sue explained it. Max also bounced for a year and never held reductions. So around 7 or 8 months of that I started reducing at three under 50. That is VERY AGGRESSIVE and any lurkers should not try that without support from some of us around here a long time or a moderator. It was suggested to me by a moderator. That’s the rule for all diabetics over a year and not before. However, if even long term diabetics get into the 30’s or lower, you take a reduction on the next cycle without exception. Why? Because you have no room for error if they don’t respond quickly to hc and karo and could end up with a symptomatic hypo and a trip to the ER that might not end well. And ALWAYS reduce by a full .25 if they drop under 40.

While I’m on my soapbox (sorry for hyjacking your condo) for anyone reading this PLEASE don’t stop testing if you get a low bg test until you are sure your cat is keeping the bg up without food for two hours.

Stay safe!

27. Lisa and little

OMG these responses just showed up for me now. Thank you all. I’m still confused. The way I read that thread it says some cats “needing to be in the 40s” and also says “ some members forget about the cat needing to be under 40” is she referring to needing to be under 40 for a reduction ? I would think no cat on insulin should ever be below 40 Maybe I’m just reading it wrong.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  28. Briere Fur Mom

Lemme read what was said. Hopefully we can figure it out together;) Basics.....cat's don't need to be under 40. You take reductions for any # under 50 with newly diagnosed kitties. If kitty is a long term diabetic, doesn't hold reductions well, and you have plenty of data, than you can wait until you get 3 separate #s under 50 before reducing. #s under 40 are an automatic reduction for both newbs and long term diabetic kitties.:cat:

ETA: Long term diabetic are kitties that have had diabetes for at least a year....but you know that:)

tiffmaxee and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  29. Sue and Luci

Lisa, could you please start a new condo/thread for today?

It will contain this info: 8/12 Little AMPS 124

We encourage a new condo/thread each day so that everyone starts fresh and we'll respond to that.

Thank you! :)

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  30. Briere Fur Mom

As Sue mentioned we start a new condo everyday to avoid confusion. Once you start the new condo, I'll share my thoughts, as will others, on your new condo/thread. We want to help you Lisa. We want Little to have the best Lantus experience possible;)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  31. tiffmaxee

I’m looking for your new condo. I hope I didn’t scare you but I get nervous when I see people not taking those reductions and may come on a little strong to make my point. :bighug: