? 8/11 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS = 212

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...mps-379-extremely-bouncy.233426/#post-2608958

I am hoping his latest bounce has cleared. I got up last night at +6 and he was 194.
    His Lantus dose is currently 1.5 units BID. We leave Saturday morning for one week.
    He will be in the care of the pet sitter who stays at the house, and a vet tech who will come in twice daily to give insulin. The pet sitter knows how to test his BG, and will test at +6 in the AM, and +3 in the PM. Vet tech will do his AMPS and PMPS testing.

With being in the low YELLOW this morning, should I do a couple extra tests?

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Def. get the +2 and we'll go from there. JMO but, I think you may be seeing the start of a bounce. That +2 should help to see things more clearly;) We'll see what @tiffmaxee thinks.
    Have a great day Shiloh:)

Sue and Luci and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes. Get a +2.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

+2 = 499:(

5. tiffmaxee

So he’s bouncing again from last night. He may have hit green last night or else lower blue. He cleared the last one more quickly than he has. It’s all good.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  6. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

If he hit GREEN, it must have been later in the cycle, since I woke and tested at +6 and he was 194.
    Hopefully it's all good. A bit nerve racking with going away and all.
    Thank you!

7. tiffmaxee

You will need to lower his dose for your vacation. Your sitters will test. It will be okay.and blues can lead to o a bounce as well.

8. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

OK. When should I start to lower his dose again to get his body used to it?

Do you think this is a new bounce, or a continuation of the most recent bounce?

9. tiffmaxee

I’m not sure if it’s a continuation or a new one. Sometimes it looks like they are clearing one, then go high and then clear it. He needs to clear this bounce before dropping his dose. The old depot is still in play.

10. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

OK. Will hold steady at 1.5 units BID for now. I so appreciate everyone's help on trying to determine the appropriate dose for my Gideon Blue. Once we return from vacation, we can focus more in getting him stabilized. The goal for now is just that he doesn't go into the GREEN and bounce while we are away. I do think this happened last time, and dose was lowered to 1.5 units, which he is now at. At tiffmaxee stated, I will need to lower it more before we leave on Sat, 8/15.

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Here's a tip for next time. Anytime there's a 100 point drop, set your alarm to get another test. Gideon Blue was in an active cycle last night and the only way to prevent those big bounces is to test/feed accordingly. He's a bouncie guy for sure...

I hope he levels off before you have to lower his dose for your vacation. It'll help make the decision of what dose to go to a bit easier.

Shiloh567 likes this.
  12. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

So any time Gideon has had a drop of 100, I feed and then to set alarm to retest when? I want to do this correctly, to give him the best chance if getting stable.

13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I've learned through trial and error that anytime Luci has a big drop that she's typically on her way down, down, down....and if that happens at night, it's better than buying a lottery ticket - she's going down some more. But that's Luci...and every cat is different (ECID)...

But to be safe, and avoid those bounces, please get another test in about an hour...feed some low carb food...if you don't want to disrupt the cycle. If in another hour Gideon is still dropping, you may want to add some MC to the food dish...time to slow that drop, otherwise, make yourself a pot of coffee, cause it's gonna be a long night.. Even after feeding some medium carb, you're still going to have to get another check just to make sure that food is propping him up...and then one more after that...it's not the most fun way to spend an evening but it'll keep him safe.

14. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Thank you so much Sue. I hope I don't have to experience a severe bounce with Gideon, but if I do, I will know how best to handle it. Tifmaxee also gave me great support.

Sue and Luci likes this.