8/14 Tina AMPS 161 +2 181 +8 160 PMPS 161

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina Marie (GA) and Jan, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

8-13-19

Good day, dear beans and kitties -

Doc called with results from cardiac monitor test. Tina scored 78, where 1-100 is considered very unlikely to have any significant heart disease. Pretty good news!

He also called in the Gourmeds chewable gabapentin. Last night I put the nasty tasting stuff in Tuna water, and it worked! It turns out the nasty stuff was actually chicken flavored. I tried it and it is not good at all.
    I'm seeing quite an improvement already. Last night she started walking around in places she hasn't ventured to in weeks!!! Husband and I kept saying . . . there's Tina; what's she doing there?! We had lots of good snuggling too which I love love love.

Good and safe surfing everyone - I'll be spending some quality Dad time today, starting with another doctor visit. Won't be home until +7 but I'll get a +2 before leaving.

Not thrilled with the increasing numbers. Will need advice on dosing.

Happy wishes to all for a nice day - and thanks so much to all.

2. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Tina is feeling better and walking around the house. Always makes us feel better when the kitty's are up and about!
    Good news with the heart...I'm guessing that was the ProBNP cardiopet result. (I am very familiar with that test as my doggie has a very bad heart condition).

Enjoy time with your dad!

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news on the heart and moving around more. I hope your dad's doctor's visit goes well.

4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Great news about Tina!! We're very happy for you! I remember my DH and I saying things like "omg, he's sitting up to eat!" Those tiny little improvements can make your day so much happier!

Hope you have a wonderful time with your Dad! :)

5. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Wonderful news about the Cardiac test for Tina!:p

My Peggy Sue & Ravan get 3 drops Paws CBD OIL by Charlotte web. It's good for pain & works great to get them to eat. It also seems to improve their mood. (Peggy Sue ate raw meat this morning after her ordeal at the vets just 14 hours ago!)
    Ravan also has Stage 2 Kidney disease. I put him on Calcitriol & low phosphorus food & he's doing well . Last lab work said he's stable. Good to hear Tina has improved:):bighug:

[​IMG]

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you Debra. It's bittersweet these days; his dementia is worsening and I'm more like his mother now. I'm learning all the time.
    You are correct, the IDEXX Cardiopet ProBNP Cardiac marker. I'm sorry about your dog's trouble :(
    She has mild Hypertrophic Cardiopathy and this test was supposed to help me decide if Tina should still go through the repeat heart echo.
    I don't know now - maybe its not urgent?

Thank you Carla
    I'm enjoying my dad in his diminished capacity as much as possible! Time is precious.

I'm loving my dad as much as I can while he still knows me.
    Tina also sits up to eat instead of lying down; a new improvement. I'm very happy about our improvements!

Thank you so much for your input! The vet mentioned CBD oil, then said, being in Texas, he wasn't supposed to talk about it. I'm pretty sure it is now legal here!
    I need to look up Calcitriol.... Gosh I love you all. More prayers for Peggy Sue and Ravan too!

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina's numbers are inching up. I went back to .5 after .62 - decreased after one 84 on the AlphaTrac. By recent numbers, it looks like I should not have decreased.
    Could 2 days of gabapentin raise her BG?
    According to SLGS I should wait a couple days to change . . .

Oh - we have ordered chewable gabapentin through Diamondback Drugs, which is now a Wedgewood Pharmacy company - I'm happy.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any chance the compounded gabapentin has sugar in it? Worth asking the pharmacy. Or the increased appetite just means more food/carbs in her. So could be a good thing. Glad to hear she is moving better. Acupuncture and buprenorphine made a world of difference for Neko’s QOL and pain control from arthritis.

According to SLGS, her nadirs are where they are supposed to be, between 90 and 149.

9. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  10. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you for that SLGS reminder.
    The compounded "chicken" flavor may have a little sugar. I will call that pharmacy and the Wedgewood pharmacy too (chewables coming). The timing of the increasing numbers does look suspicious. Tina is eating more food at a time, but not actually a larger quantity in a day. Six ounces of food is keeping her at 13 pounds. But, with her increasing activity, her numbers might look better and then we'll have to work in a little more food. Maybe.

The vet didn't want to use buprenorphine unless pain was more severe, or the gabapentin didn't help. I won't forget about the "bupe", because it sounds like a very helpful drug. I like the idea of acupuncture. Thanks so much Wendy . . . I've been admiring Neko's picture for a long time.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  11. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Good to her Tina is feeling better and her heart test was good!