? 8/17 Rocky - amps 139, +7 61, +8 81, pmps 110, +3 127, +5 113 +6 134 - Skip amps or reduce if >150?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jim (NJ), Aug 17, 2019.

1. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

Great day, got our lowest BC yet 61 :) We feed him right after and tested again to see that it went up to 81. I just feed him his normal meal but should we have gave him some HC FF gravy or only if its below 50?

I am going to test him tonight +3, +5, +7 since he seems to go lower in the evening. My concern is what should I do for the amps? I did not know the general recommendation is no shot if <150. If was going to do if we are going to be home with him then 100-150 shot, but below 100 no shot. Sound reasonable for educated beginner or just keep it simple >150 for no shot?

Tomorrow afternoon we have to go out after +6 so Im wondering if we should reduce him to 3.75u or even 1/2 a shot at 2u? I read that a no shot can disrupt cycles and cause higher #'s so would it be better to just reduce him to 3.75u since he was so close to a reduction today at 61? I never thought he would be progressing this fast but its amazing to see :) <3

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

I'll let other more experienced members answer you questions but wow! what a steady progress!!!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Wow, that spreadsheet is looking good! Sometimes the diet change and a short period of insulin can steer a cat into remission pretty quickly..it happened with Idjit and we were still floundering around learning what to do. He was only on 1 U of Lantus though, not 4 so I can't make dosing recommendations.

I am going to tag some more experienced members to chime in on dosing.
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)
    @Wendy&Neko
    @MrWorfMen's Mom

4. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

Thanks for the love.. it has been amazing to see his progress since we went all wet and cut out the carbs. He has been acting soo much better. Just did +3 127, will get a +5 & +7 before bed tonight and will await feedback for amps dosage.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

What a beautiful cycle today! You handled the 61 just fine. No need to pull out the HC until BG is 50 or very close to it.

The >150 for shooting applies to those with little data. While you don't have a huge amount of data, you have shot a full dose on a BG that likely would have been under 150 on a human meter and some under 150 since you switched to the human meter. From your current data, I think you should be fine giving the full dose tomorrow if AMPS is around 150 or slightly below that. If you are concerned, I suggest you post for advice at that time. You shot at 110 tonight but it looks like Rocky's not having an active cycle tonight and might be heading into a bounce from that lovely day cycle so BG may be up a bit higher tomorrow.

If you reduce the dose then the day count starts over to refill the depot so hopefully there will be no need to reduce.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If the APMS is around 150, I would give the 4 units too. If you are going to be at home until +6 tomorrow morning after AMPS you should know by then if he’s going to drop lower and you can steer the cycle by leaving out some higher carb food if you have to go out. If it is dropping when you go out, post and ask for advice.
    Looking good.

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Rocky is so handsome, and you are doing a wonderful job, Jim! I look forward to following your progress.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to your previous post here, we include those so people can easily see the history. I was glad to read you botmthe Petsafe feeder. That will really help you those days you have to go out. Rather than lower his dose in case he goes lower, you help keep him safe by leaving higher carb food in the auto feeder. The nature of the depot is such that the cycle you do the reduction would likely look like you had shot the full dose anyway. The depot can influence 4-6 cycles after a reduction.

On this forum, for people following TR, below 150 for preshot is when we suggest not feeding, and posting for help deciding what to do. The Sticky Note on becoming data ready to shoot lower numbers is a good read. Lantus is great at keeping lower numbers flat and low. Eventually you may get to the point of the experienced members here who will shoot anything over 50.

9. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

+5 113 +6 134, just feed him his 1am meal after test so Im going to bed. I will post in the morning. Thanks all and goodnight!

10. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

8/18 - amps 157, +6 141, pmps 215, +4 126 .. so we proceeded with 4u since it was higher and looks like its bouncing as @MrWorfMen's Mom anticipated it might.

We are going to be home Monday, but leaving for vacation Tuesday morning after his amps and will not be back until pmps +6 on Wednesday night. A friend is stopping by to feed him and give him his shots, but not able to do BC test. I was trying to decide what the best course of action to take with us not being here when it could be his lowest lows yet. I thought either leave some HC food for the 1am/1pm +6 meals just to make sure he is safe since only time someone will be there is for his shot meals. Or should we do a reduce shot for 2 days we will not be home & able to test him? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We usually suggest dropping the dose a cycle or two before you leave to drain the depot a little because most cats don't eat normally when their routine is disrupted.

Better a little too high for a few days than too low for a moment.

12. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

Sounds good. So I am going to be here for 3 more shots. Should I reduce his Monday pm and Tuesday am shot, then have my friend go back to 4u for his Tuesday pm & wed am/pm? Also what should I reduce his shots to.. 3u or lower? Thank you

Just did a test, +6 89 so he is back to greens :) we gave him an 1oz FF Pate at +3 since he was looking at his food bowl and asking for food. Doesn't normally so that's why I tested him at the +3 since he seemed hungry.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Because you are going to be gone on Tuesday morning, I would reduce the two doses on Monday and continue the same reduced dose while you are away that your friend will give because he won't be testing from Tuesday morning. When you return, you can increase the dose again.
    I'm going to tag @Wendy&Neko and @Chris & China (GA) as to what dose to go down to.
    Also ask you friend to make sure he leaves food out for during the cycle.

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with 3.5. You don't want to reduce too much, but @Wendy&Neko might have a different opinion

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  15. Jim (NJ)

Jim (NJ) Member

Unfortunately I didn't see the reply's until this afternoon. We shot him with 4u this morning, but will reduce it to 3.5u for his next 2 shots. My friend is not able to use the syringes due to not being able to see the lines with very poor vision so we will have to reduce it a whole unit to 3u on the pen. His numbers as of today so far

8/19 - amps 178, +4 160, +150

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

He will be fine for three cycles at the reduced dose. Just go back to 4 units when you get back. And have a good time away!