8/18 Tiberious's PMPS 374 +3 418 Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan and Tiberious, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Tiberious

Susan and Tiberious Member

**I edited this first thread of the day in error (if anyone is confused abt the reply postings)
    I'm at my breaking point!!

I have been @ the Vet's office twice today- and 2 different ( a new and my regular). Tiberious' breathing is fast and heavy- he's not panting just looks like the breathing is very labored. He's still eating/peeing/pooping and his temp is normal. The vets have listened to his heart/lungs and given SubQ's today. Neither cld tell me why or make him any more comfortable. They sent me off with the number to the Emergency vet if i need it tonight. I asked if they thought he was in pain, my regular vet said prob just discomfort. Is it possible that this may be a symptom of FD? His BG was high all day. I feel so bad. I've been crying all day not knowing what to do. I told myself that I would only continue to treat him if he has good quality of life. I can't stand to think that he might be hurting really bad, and I'm drawing it out causing him to suffer. Please, any advice /info??

@ my wits end-Susan

2. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Re: 8/18 Tiberious's AMPS 228

Nice numbers for Tiberious this morning! Hope you have a great day!!

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

good morning! here's your condo from yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50153

great start to tiberious' day - he might even be clearing yesterday's bounce. see how on his ss that he's hit a high right after his evening shot last night and then looks like he's been dropping since. we'll see what he does today.

have a good one!

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. I don't think I have stopped into your condo before, so welcome from us! This mornings number is a nice yellow for you guys, and how nice to hear tiberious is lovey this morning! have a great day!

5. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Re: 8/18 Tiberious's PMPS 374 Please HELP** Advice Needed!!

I just sent you a PM. Your first post kind of confused me because your obviously upset, but everyone who posted below is acting all cheerful!! I think when you edited the first posts subject line (which is what you're supposed to do) you also overwrote your first post from this morning. Keep editing the first posts subject line, but then make a new post, at the bottom of your thread, for anything new you want to say. Otherwise, people might not see what you've written because they'll scroll right by it, thinking it was from this morning.

Try not to worry. Read my PM.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Susan:

How about cross posting on the Health Board? I'm not familiar enough with breathing issues to be of much help. There are several vet techs who are on the Health board routinely and may be able to offer some insight or guidance.

7. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Susan, did they do a chest ray? Asthma can cause rapid, labored breathing with or without wheezing. Stress in general or discomfort can cause increased blood sugar levels. I don't think the diabetes is what is making him uncomfortable.

8. Susan and Tiberious

I'm at my breaking point!!

I have been @ the Vet's office twice today- and 2 different ( a new and my regular). Tiberious' breathing is fast and heavy- he's not panting just looks like the breathing is very labored. He's still eating/peeing/pooping and his temp is normal. The vets have listened to his heart/lungs and given SubQ's today. Neither cld tell me why or make him any more comfortable. They sent me off with the number to the Emergency vet if i need it tonight. I asked if they thought he was in pain, my regular vet said prob just discomfort. Is it possible that this may be a symptom of FD? His BG was high all day. I feel so bad. I've been crying all day not knowing what to do. I told myself that I would only continue to treat him if he has good quality of life. I can't stand to think that he might be hurting really bad, and I'm drawing it out causing him to suffer. Please, any advice /info??

@ my wits end-Susan

9. Susan and Tiberious

No xray was done-

10. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

It would probably be a good idea to get a chest X-ray........if only to eliminate a problem. I'm sorry you are having such a bad day.....but we are all here for you and Tiberious.

11. Patty & Champ

For the dehydration, make sure you add some water to Tiberioius' food. That way, if he doesn't feel like going to his water bowl, he'll get what he needs when he eats. You may already be doing this, but just in case.

12. Patty & Champ

If you can afford the x-rays, I would do that. If not, look to see how Tiberious is acting. Is he acting sick, other than the rapid/labored breathing?

13. Susan and Tiberious

No, which is my conundrum...???

14. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: i don't know, but i know how distressing it is when your little buddy is not up to par. i like sienne's idea of seeing if one of the vet techs can suggest something.

i still think it's possible the high numbers are simply a bounce from the "lower than usual" numbers he had yesterday morning and the night before. but i'm not an expert - that's just my first thought. if it's a bounce, it will come down on its own through your consistent dosing in the next 2 days.

the chest symptoms may be separate entirely, as a couple of people have suggested.

sending good thoughts your way . . .

15. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi... i am sorry to butt in here without any introduction but your post hit on something I wanted to mention.

Sometimes a heart issue / infection can cause rapid breathing and if that is the case, adding more fluids, sub q etc, can complicate this further.
    Did they do a Blood pressure and heart rate check and have a good listen to your baby's heart?

I am sorry you are seeing this, panting and heavy breathing are certainly not good and very scary to watch. Please check out the ER and give them a call and let them know what you are seeing and if they think check in ith them is a good idea..

paws are crossed here that this clears up very soon.

best, Kimmee

16. Re: 8/18 Tiberious's PMPS 374 Please HELP** Advice Needed!!

All,
    this is the same kitty who recently began eating clay litter. See her other thread from today in Health:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50244

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Susan: having had cats with breathing issues and heart issues, I think it is best for the vets to do an xray and see if his heart looks enlarged or there is cloudiness in his lungs.

Please keep us posted....and breathe because he can feel your stress and that will stress him more. Sending him healing vines.

18. Susan and Tiberious

Yep they did check bp and listen to heart/lungs

19. my Casey bear

my Casey bear Member

How are things going? Are there any changes?

Sending healing thoughts for Tiberious.

20. Susan and Tiberious

No changes and now took his +3 and it's 418!!!! What is going on? still bouncing?? Please any info wld help!

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Susan: a bounce can take 72 hours (six cycles) to clear. Just when you think they've gotten better numbers in the bounce, they can go up. But the numbers can also go up if he's in pain.

22. Patty & Champ

I have absolutely no clue as to why he would eat clay litter, but I do know that the only reason the clumping litter is sticking to his paws is because he's still throwing glucose into his urine so his urine is sticky. I had to wash Champ's paws a few times at the beginning. This too shall pass. If Tiberious has had recent blood work, and the vets have checked him out carefully, and you don't have the funds for x-rays (I know how you feel on the money aspect, or no-money aspect!), I would just keep a good eye on him. I even goggled how many breaths per minute a cat should have because Champ would have fast respirations. I counted his respirations a few times throughout the day and found that it was normal most of the time and not as fast as I thought. I think it's supposed to be like 30 breaths per minute. Sometimes when they're purring, it looks like fast respirations, but it's not. Keep us posted.

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((susan)))

i know this is scary. i think your best bet is to call the ER as others have mentioned. i don't know that it can wait til morning...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.