8/24 Jimmy's IGF-1 221

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Susan G & Jimmy G, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

I rec'd Jimmy's results for IGF in the mail today...he's an Acro kitty. Results attached. I don't see the results for the IAA test though - am I missing it?

Attached Files:

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for the diagnosis Susan, but at least you know what you're dealing with now. Bronx was 434, IAA 8% (neg). I didn't get my IAA & IGF1 results on the same day either, they were a few days apart. Hopefully Jimmy gives you a neg IAA.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like the IAA results are pending. I also got them on separate days. Sorry you've joined the club. :bighug::bighug: But hopefully getting answers will allow you to plan what you do next, if anything.

4. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Kinda sad kinda and oddly relieved to know for sure.

Prior to his Dx with diabetes my husband and I actually discussed what we would do should our two kitties become diagnosed with something that would require chemo, radiation, and or surgery requiring to undergo anesthesia. We have seen 3 kitties (family members') and humans undergo these types of treatment with shortened and not so great quality of life. We decided we would not go that route with our two sibling kitties (civvie Marley).

Honestly, the best we can do is to try and manage his BG he best we can. He is eating a balanced and species appropriate diet and this has really improved his overall well being...ie more alert...good coat...basically the Ps. Even though his recent numbers have been high 200s and 300s.

I have a lot to think about and a lot more to learn. In advance, thank you for helping me along this journey of ours.

It seems there would be a more aggressive protocol for these types of kitties. Is anything written up on that?

I'd like to switch to Levemir when I'm done with my last two Lantus pens...could be early as mid Sept.

Also looking at adding in R-Novolin. Are there any dosing protocols for that?

So many questions buzzing in my brain...but I think addressing his insulin regiment is my first step.

Welcome any thoughts and feedback.

5. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

You have kept track of Acro cat Marvin, right? With his fantastic remission using caberglione or something like that?

Susan G & Jimmy G likes this.
  6. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Well, duh, you copied Marvin's Mom. Now you can move forward with a treatment. I am so hopeful for Jimmy.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think the switch to Lev is a good idea. Hopefully your vet is on board for writing a script for that. There aren't really any different written protocols for high dosers. We do larger increase as the dose gets higher, but it's not that far off if you think in terms of percentages of the dose. At 10 units, we go to 1 unit increases, unless you are tweaking a dose with pretty good numbers. But of course ECID, some cats are sensitive to smaller changes, some not. You have heard the phrase Know Thy Cat, well, it's even more true for a high dose cat. You also don't want to sit on a dose any length of time, if it's not getting you numbers you want. There are times the acro tumour can grow and insulin needs are too, and it's like you are competing with that growth to get back to good numbers. You have seen that already. The tumour can shrink, and it that is happening, you need to be on your toes with decreases. And be aware of the larger depot, with possibly reduced doses following a reduction to drain the depot. Again, ECID. You will do lots of experimenting to learn what works for Jimmy..

R is something used by many, but again nothing written as it's very ECID. We suggest you "book" a time with an experienced person who has used R, who can sit with you the first few times you use it. We start with a small dose at the right time, and work our way up. I say right time, cause it's also important to know when not to use R.

FWIW - radiation treatment brought a much better QOL for Neko. At the time, it was the only treatment option available to us at that time. But the majority of acrokitties are not treated, other than with appropriate doses of insulin. You do want to try to keep him under renal threshold as mush as possible, as acromegaly is hard on kidneys.

Which also brings up the topic of what to look for. Learn what can happen with soft tissue and bony growth, not all cats see the same things happen, but it's good to be aware of them. Neko saved a tooth because the dental vet found soft tissue growth in her mouth, instead of what looked at first to be a bad tooth. Have the vet keep an ear out for heart murmurs, as heart issues can sneak up on you, but can be treated with meds.

Keep asking questions.:bighug:

Gill & George and Beenie (GA) like this.
  8. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I'm sorry to hear this Susan. Your mindset is wonderful. You are in the right place and will have all the support you need :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Thank you. Ironically, I feel this has made me a better hooman. I'm a much better advocate for my cats now and has created a stronger bond between us.

10. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear Jimmy has Acro but it is indeed empowering to know what you are dealing with and it does create an even stronger bond. The folks here are absolutely top notch when it comes to helping with these big gulpers. With their help and your TLC Jimmy is in good hands! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Although there are not any formal protocols for kitties with high dose conditions, the tribal knowledge built by the experiences of high dose kitties here year upon year can't be beat.

13. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Oh my god!!! That's so funny that's what I use for my ringtone! Lol

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  14. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I am sad for the diagnosis but glad you have an answer. Prayers for negative IAA. Many, many hugs. :bighug::bighug:

Give Jimmy extra scritches from me.:cat:

15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. But it is a relief to know I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.