? 8/25 Tibby AMPS 192

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy&Tibby, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Hello everyone. So, Tibby is developing a pattern, it seems. Earlier in the month, I had increased his dose from 2.5 to 3 (the vet wanted him at 3, and he needed an increase anyway). He had a low AMPS a day later so I lowered his dose back down and kept it there for a while. With advice from this board, I lowered it to 2.75.

After a week at 2.75, I did a curve and raised it from 2.75 to 3 again. He's been at 3 for two days, and is having a low AM number again.

What I'm doing this time is, I fed him as usual, and then I'm going to test him again in an hour. If it's higher, I'm thinking I'll give him his normal shot of 3 units. How high would be high enough?

He's already had a boiled chicken treat and a can of pate. He's about to get a second can. He's a little extra hungry today.

2. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Update: He didn't eat the second can, just licked it a bit. Normal appetite, just eaten quicker than usual. His +1 reading is 231.

If this follows the last pattern, his +2 should skyrocket. Then I'm thinking that's when I'll give him his usual dose.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Reason for edit: new data
  3. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Can I give a normal dose if his numbers get back up to his normal AMPS?

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you shot. As you get more experience you'll be able to shoot those blue numbers. I hope Tibby doesn't bounce too high today. You can work you way back in one 30 min. increment per day or two 15 min. increments.

If you are able to, getting a before going to bed test every night will give you good data an let you know if you may need to get up and test during the night.

Amy&Tibby and Sue and Luci like this.
  5. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Thanks! I'm doing the two 15 minute route, I think. His +2 was going high like last time, so I figured it was more than safe to give his usual full dose. I'll probably test him a few more times today. And I agree I will need to do those bedtime tests, for sure. The good thing is, it seems the Lantus is making him go in the right direction.

I'm worried for when this happens when school starts up again. Right now my schedule is flexible, but I might have to skip shots if this happens when I'm teaching.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

The next time you get a blue number and you are able to monitor, you may want to shoot his normal dose and not stall. That will give you an idea of what he'll do if you aren't around to monitor. The idea is to eventually work you way down to shooting lower numbers to get him into better numbers. It's something everyone has to work there way to being comfortable doing. I'm not criticizing you for stalling today.

Amy&Tibby likes this.
  7. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

Yeah, I'm seeing that now. This is only the second time. First time I skipped completely but monitored the whole time. Definitely a huge bounce. This time I stalled two hours and monitoring the whole time. I just hope I will be home next time it happens so I can do what you're saying and monitor the whole time. If not, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be, but I think I would maybe give 1 unit if I had to leave for work. I just need more data.

The happy thing is that I even have this problem. On Prozinc his numbers were so high and crazy. I'm happy there are patterns now.

8. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

I have a follow-up question. I wasn't sure if I should make a new post or just ask here. His PMPS is 225, which is also lower than usual. I went ahead and gave him the usual shot, and I guess I'll stay up testing him for a while. Was that okay?

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

You'll want to stay on this condo/thread/post until tomorrow - then you'll start a new one with a new date. Copy/paste the url from this post into your new one tomorrow for historical purposes.

Good job shooting tonight!

Amy&Tibby likes this.
  10. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

I just realized there was a "like" button. :) I can't believe I'm getting somewhere to close-to-normal numbers after just a couple of days on a 3 unit dose. Very freaky.

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Once you move into a human meter, you'll see more of those :)

12. Amy&Tibby

Amy&Tibby Member

That may be a while. I stocked up on AT strips a while back.

Sue and Luci likes this.