? 8/29 Maxi AMPS103/+6:63/+4:82/+11:86/Calcium & Phosphorus & Tissue Growth/Airway Obstruction

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bambinaki, Aug 29, 2020.

1. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Last thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-28-maxi-amps-109-3-120-5-130-8-135-pmps-212.234251/

Maxi had a check-up at the vet yesterday.

His calcium and phosphorus are higher. Phosphorus is definitely too high. Phosphorus is controlled by binder (which he takes because of kidney disease). Binder causes calcium to increase. High calcium is bad. I don't know what to do about this. Any ideas?

His stridor is worse from tissue growth* from acromegaly. I'm worried about breathing difficulty later. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!

(*I am considering trying Cabergoline again but there is so little evidence, even anecdotal, to show it reduces tissue growth.)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I don't have advice (newbie to this club) but you may want to edit your title and add the question mark to draw some attention. Hang in there!

3. bambinaki

Thanks!

JaxBenji likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Which binder are you using? Some do contain calcium, maybe it's time to switch to an alternate like Aluminum hydroxide.

No harm in trying cabergoline to him physically, and the majority of users have noticed improvements, including the stridor. 3 cats have gone OTJ on it, the majority have some dose reduction. The trickiest bit about cabergoline is we don't know how Maxi will respond this time. Last time you tried it for 4 weeks, but now you are more comfortable with lower numbers. You say so little evidence, but there is plenty enough on FDMB that I would have tried it if it was available in Neko's time. Honestly, I feel that any treatment is better than none when it comes to acromegaly. Some cats get mild GI symptoms for a couple days as a side effect of starting cabergoline. Since Maxi didn't have his issues until 4 weeks after starting cabergoline, I don't think that is what caused it.

Neko's stridor was very mild, and only in her last half year did she even have it. So I can't help there. I do know that if Maxi were ever to need anaesthesia, the vet should check to see if he needs a smaller tube for intubation. Some people reported their cat getting a hoarse throat after or needing kitten size tube.

7. bambinaki

Thank you, Wendy.

I switched from Epakitin to aluminum hydroxide today.

I've looked but haven't found it. Where is it?

Who? I'd like to ask them about it. (I think Lily is one.)

I guess I will try Cabergoline again. Maybe I should try Wedgewood this time instead of my local pharmacy. I remember something about using the right concoction that's sugar-free.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

9. bambinaki