8/30 Bruno switch to Levemir 5 days ago and we got a miracle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by aochoa, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aochoa

aochoa Member

I have been somehow away from the Forum. I was posting on the Lantus tight Protocol forum, and getting tons of help, specially from Julie and Chris & China, and other members, but Bruno was just full of surprises and became the master of bouncing.

7 days ago, I had to board him at the vet for a couple of days, since I needed a small surgery and I needed to stay at the hospital. I board him will all the directions I could in written on how to give the insulin, schedule, food, etc etc. He was on 0.75u Lantus (he started on metmorphin on March and switched to Lantus by the end of May). I assume for his ss, that he became hypo on his first night at eh vet, when he reached 27 at +3 pm but they didn't check him again until psam, when he was 61. And there came another bounce.

I know many cats become quite sensible of insulin after being hypo, but this was Brunos' second time he hypo (both at the vet!!!) just he presented no symptoms.

Since I was having a very hard time regulating him on Lantus, I decided to give Levemir a try and I was just waiting to be home after surgery, to start our trial on Levemir, specially because I had one week off work and had no idea on what to expect, we needed to make a curve, etc.

And then, a miracle happen. A more sociable kitty, steady on greens (couple of blues at the beginning of our trail).

I know there might be many factors that affected Bruno's numbers, but my comment goes to does with hard to regulate sugar babies that are having a hard time and are afraid of switching insulins. Levemir, was the third insulin we tried. And lucky us it was the one that Bruno accepted better. His mood is different, he is little by little becoming the purring baby I use to have.

Lantus might be a great insulin and many cats are regulated and go into remission on Latus, but if you're cat is one that didn't read the Protocol, don't be afraid switch, you might see some light or maybe you decide to go back to your old insulin. But it's worth a try. Now I can only blame myself for taking so much time to switch, but we did and Bruno is now on 0.1u and I have great hopes that he might go into remission.

If you look at our ss, is like day and night! Unfortunately, the Lev group is not as active as the Lantus tight protocol, but I know other users that will try to change that.

I just wanted to share the news, and thank all of you that spent nights of no sleep taking care of us! I don't know how to "tag" people here, but you know who you are... Hillary Maui, Chris & China, Julie, Kay, and so many others that join us on our trip. We are finally on the right path! :mrgreen: :razz:

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Re: 8/30 Bruno switch to Levemir 5 days ago and we got a mir

Wow, Ana, that's great news! Fantastic! :mrgreen:

And thank you so much for writing this post. It is interesting reading. And it may indeed encourage others to try another insulin if their kitty is hard to regulate.

Actually, you are not the only one whose kitty has done better on Levemir than on Lantus. Do have a look at this thread in the Think Tank forum. You may wish to post here also: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=122941#p1277257

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that Bruno does go into remission soon...

Eliz

3. aochoa

aochoa Member

Thank you, Elizabeth! Actually Kay was one of the members that I was following and I read her posts and decided to give it a try. Lucky us it worked (or has worked so far)!

I hope that other members having a hard time regulating their babies, read my post. All the bouncing has very stressful, many times I thought that Bruno will never be regulated. I must say that the support from the Forum was amazing, never let us down, spent many night awake with us, but it was frustrating seeing we were getting nowhere. Just when I though we got it, Bruno bounced big time.

I am just to happy that he is doing so good and on so little insulin :razz: that if this post can help at least one other person, I will be extremely happy!

Have a green day everyone!

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Hi Ana, what great news! Actually many of us on the Lantus TR forum use Levemir. The difference between the two forums isn't really Lantus or Levemir, but tight regulation versus a more relaxed approach for members who can't test as rigorously. You are welcome to continue posting there.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Ana - Ditto what Ann & Tess said -- The lantus tight regulation forum is more active than the other insulin forums and there is always someone there monitoring the cats....so continue posting in there and you will always get help. Remember you can post on the facebook pages too as help is there also.

Glad the change to Lev is working for Bruno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.