8/31 Elmo . AMPS 361 + 2 199 +3 148 +4 132. +6 69 + 7 58 + 9 72 PMPS 201 + 2 326 + 4 311

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth 73, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Justin & Sebastian

Justin & Sebastian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would continue to feed every 20 minutes but only test every 30 until you see a rise

Beth 73 likes this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. Justin & Sebastian

And thank you. He's so adorable, and the personality on this cat, you have no idea. He's always been the favorite cat at every vet he's been to. He's so laid back and never gives anyone any problems.

Beth 73 likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Beth 73 likes this.
  5. LizzieInTexas

Going to have to experiment. Start with a half teaspoon. Test often. Honey/karo will wear off quicker than food.

Beth 73 likes this.
  6. Beth 73

72 .....yippee and yahoo...now what ?!?!?:woot: :cat: :cool:

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  7. Justin & Sebastian

Take a breath :) No food and check again in a half hour just to make sure he doesn't dip again as the food wears off and if that's good, back to normal and take your decrease tonight.

Beth 73 and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  8. Beth 73

Thank you , thank you for everyone who has held my hand thru Elmo's Excellent Adventure this afternoon :bighug: Want to restate your instructions , Justin ...test every 30 min..no food ...if stays same or rises ....give 1.0 units at shot time . Anything I should be watching for or expect tonight after PM shot of 1.0 ???

9. Beth 73

I'm gonna have a humdinger of a time getting this on his SS......needing to go to store and check on BC our office kitty ...vines and prayers appreciated for him .:bighug:

10. Beth 73

Honestly , Lizzie , honey scares the doodoo out of me . Three years ago when he was first diagnosed, I panicked During low numbers and ended up DKA . It was awful . He has been ketone negative thru all this , bless his heart :bighug:

11. LizzieInTexas

You can look at Gizmo's SS to see how I did it if you want.

Where are you at on the cycle? +8?

Beth 73 likes this.
  12. Beth 73

Also , how often should I test if this next number is 72 or more ?? Every hour ? Or leave him be ??

13. Beth 73

Yes +8

14. LizzieInTexas

I understand. As long as he is eating good there shouldn't be a problem with just sticking with food. It is when they are full and not wanting to eat that I broke out the honey and usually late at night when I needed him UP so I could get some sleep.

Beth 73 likes this.
  15. Beth 73

Lizzie , wasn't Giz on epogen? I need to contact you some time and get your wisdom on it . Chris, one of my civvies ,is on it ...just have a lot of questions but I'll PM u to pick ur brain at a later date :bighug::bighug:❤️

16. LizzieInTexas

Check at +9 and decide then.

Beth 73 and Justin & Sebastian like this.
  17. LizzieInTexas

Yes. PM me any time. Headed out on vacation tomorrow but will be on line off/on :bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  18. Justin & Sebastian

Yeah, once you get a rise I would test again in an hour and then if it's still rising you can wait until preshot time.

As far as tonight goes, it'll depend on if he bounces or not. I would get a +3 and if that's higher than PS you can get some rest. If it's about equal or lower I would then get a +5 and go from there

Beth 73 likes this.
  19. Beth 73

Fantastic to have you fighting Elmo and my corner, Justin :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: No words ..simply no words ❤️

20. Beth 73

Testing now ...

21. Beth 73

74 ...going to check on office kitty ..test again at 5:30

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  22. Justin & Sebastian

So that was +8? I'd check again in an hour. You're probably balanced between the food wearing off and the nadir so I'd expect it to start rising now

Beth 73 likes this.
  23. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: And scritches to sweet Sebastian. :bighug:

24. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

You're doing a good job handling things. I'm glad you've had people to help out today. Sending prayers for the office cat.

Beth 73 likes this.
  25. Beth 73

At + 10 ....83. Will go thru notes / numbers from earlier and get on SS ..... .going to store and getting some HC . A million thanks for getting us thru this afternoon ! :bighug:Oh, and BC the office kitty was more responsive ...gave his heart meds for the day and will go over later and decide if I should bring him here or stay where he's familiar :bighug:

26. Beth 73

Thanks , Carla :bighug: BC seems better ... will recheck on him later

carfurby (GA) likes this.
  27. Beth 73

QUESTION ?????? What would be a number that I should not shoot tonight ? Even tho got a reducie ??? Is there a no go number for tonight ? Don't want to foul things up but also don't want to push it . Advice please .

28. Justin & Sebastian

Can't help you there, I'm not experienced in shooting low dose numbers. But edit your title to include the question and change the prefix to ?

Beth 73 likes this.
  29. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Was just thinking ahead to the next shot time, and I'm really wondering if he's had a radical reduction in his insulin needs (antibiotics kicking in), which makes me nervous. If it weren't for his old DKA experience, I'd already be suggesting that you skip tonight and take a break.

Hopefully others can weigh in on this, but if it were me, I'd be very wary of shooting anything under 150 tonight, and definitely nothing under 100. With the old DKA, another possibility is a half-dose, just to get some insulin in him, only assuming you are able to monitor tonight.

He's not following the usual rules today!

Beth 73 and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  30. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I see Elmo is up to his old tricks. Just when you think he's going to mosey along he decide to get frisky. This reminds me of all the days you were going to start Lantus last time and he'd surprise you with a great no shot number.

You've done great today Beth. So glad you had Justin and Lizzie to help.:D

As far as no shoot numbers, you don't have a huge amount of data yet so no shoot would normally be 150. That said he may bounce and you'll be able to shoot but I think I'd take the reduction. Shooting through a bounce is a more advanced technique and you don't need any more drama today. I agree with Nan you can always consider a BCS (Big Chicken Shot) if need be.

Beth 73 and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  31. Beth 73

Let's see what PMPS brings and I'll check back in . That's in an hour .

32. Beth 73

Linda, I was remembering the same thing . Back to the old roller caster vetsulin days !!! I'll be calling on you snd NaN in an hour to give me insight from on high !!

33. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Beth 73 likes this.
  34. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug:❤️

35. Beth 73

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

There's another number I didn't expect! Re-test, as a start, but if he's that high now I think you can plan on shooting. Maybe wait for Linda for a dose judgement-- I think either the full 1.0 or maybe the BCS of 0.5, to help drain the depot a little bit after today's antics.

Beth 73 likes this.
  37. Beth 73

Nan , this is how he rolls . Back in vetsulin days , Linda , Kris and Mogs helped me journey thru the hot mess that is Elmo :):rolleyes:

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  38. MrWorfMen's Mom

Elmo did not go too low today. Lower than desired with SLGS yes but he was safe the whole time. I would shoot the new dose of 1u, I think you are seeing the beginning of a bounce that may take his BG even higher so I doubt there will be any PJ party tonight.

39. Beth 73

@MrWorfMen's Mom ???? What ya think , Auntie Linda ? Your nephew done thrown us another curve ball :smuggrin:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  40. Beth 73

Linda, by even higher what does that mean ? No more blacks, please :nailbiting:

41. Beth 73

He is not hungry after this afternoon ...do I syringe feed a bit before the shot???

42. Beth 73

I will fix my title also after I get done supper and coffee ...my brain is fried

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes to the syringe a bit before shot but you just need to know he's keeping food down and can give him more after shot.

I don't think he's going to go all the way to black but he may provide you with a little more colourful spreadsheet in the pinks or even a red. I'm just guessing because bounces are just a natural phenomenon over which we have little if any control. He had a beautiful cycle today and there will be more of them so consider any bounce time your chance to catch up on some R&R.

Beth 73 likes this.
  44. Beth 73

Linda , how often to test tonight ?

45. MrWorfMen's Mom

I don't see that as a curve ball. I see that as progress! Go Elmo! Never mind your Mama calling you a hot mess. Auntie Linda liked today's cycle but then she wasn't biting her nails to the quick as it was playing out! :woot:

Beth 73 likes this.
  46. Beth 73

And amen to R and R ...I'm sure Justin and Nan are worn out as well . Lizzie too . You all are selfless warriors , that's what you are :bighug:❤️

47. MrWorfMen's Mom

Test Elmo again at +2 and see what he's doing. My bets are on a number that's higher than PMPS.

Beth 73 likes this.
  48. Beth 73

Only at 2 or a before bed at +4 as well?

49. MrWorfMen's Mom

See where he's at. I'll check on you and we'll decide from there. If he does what I suspect he will do, then you both get a pokie break after bedtime.

50. Beth 73

I'm doing an Ozark Mountain barn dance at that prospect :woot: :woot: :woot:

Suzanne Burton and LizzieInTexas like this.
  51. MrWorfMen's Mom

Can you post a video? Love to see it! :woot:

Beth 73 likes this.
  52. Beth 73

+ 2 326 ...and it's BINGO for you , Auntie Linda ...you called it that +2 would be higher than PMPS ....I'll probably check before bedtime so looks like a much needed rest for us all :) Thank you for hovering over us :bighug: Extra scritches to sweetie pie Myster ❤️

53. Beth 73

At +2 giving ABs in small amount baby food ....and SQ

54. Beth 73

Ok , y'all can go to bed but remember tomorrow IS another day ! ( cue Gone With the Wind theme song ).....a hearty thank you to our guardian angels who helped us thru today ..@Justin & Sebastian @Nan & Amber @LizzieInTexas @MrWorfMen's Mom @carfurby ....y'all ROCK ! :bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  55. Beth 73

+ 4. 311

56. Beth 73

Btw, will fine tune thread title and SS from today tomorrow ...I'm actually asleep right now ;)