? 8/31 Penny PMPS 150 and dropping. Skipping again. Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurisaurus, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I'm running a curve on Penny today and wouldn't you know it, she's refusing to curve! Silly kitty. Instead she's staying steady in the 170 rage. What the heck.

I think I may have botched it by giving her a slight more carby food this morning. I gave her the FF chunky turkey, and then I noticed that one of the ingredients is wheat gluten so I scooped it up and gave her something else. Or maybe she's just having an inactive cycle day. Maybe I should give up and try again tomorrow? We just passed +5 so I doubt she'll get much lower today as she's usually the lowest at +4-5.

She's quite happy though, I think. She's been sleeping a lot better when her numbers are lower. She normally moves from one bed to the floor to another bed on repeat all day as if she's uncomfortable. But lately she's been staying in the same place for longer and is doing a lot of snoring and dreaming.

2. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Just sold my soul for another box of alpha trak strips.

3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new here too and maybe someone has already referred you to the food chart - but just incase here's the link - the FF Chunky Turkey looks like it's only 5% carbs.

I feel this so much. I made the switch to Relion Premier on 8/23 and it really took a lot of stress off test strips. I'm sure you've considered switching but if you want more details on my experience, just let me know :) I saved my AT2 and a box of strips in case my vet wants those numbers or if my Relion meter stops working for some reason.

I hope you and Penny have a wonderful day!

LindyNova and tiffmaxee like this.
  4. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I picked up a Relion and strips this past weekend I'll be changing over sometime this week. I didn't realize how low I was on the alpha strips though until I was doing her curve today. I want to make sure I have some on hand for curves and spot checks.

JaxBenji likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yea for changing to a human meter. When you do a curve you test every 2 hours for 12 hours. I’d stop this one as well.

6. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Yes, I'm stopping and will try again in a few days. No sense wasting my precious alpha strips.

I also shouldn't have picked the first day of school (I work for a university) to do the curve. I've been so busy that it's been hard to find a spare minute to test.

7. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Looks like I’m skipping dosing again tonight. I’m just not comfortable enough yet to dose this low. I know I will be as time goes on. She’s been surfing blues for 24 hours so maybe she’ll hold steady for me over night.

I feel defeated when I skip a shoot. It feels like it’s one step backwards.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Don't feed defeated. :bighug: Over time comes data and experience that allows you to shoot lower numbers. You WILL get there. In the mean time, Penny's numbers are some most caregivers of newly diagnosed cats would kill for. Think of it as good progress.
    Gotta tell you, that made me laugh. :p

And a little housekeeping note, here is the link to your previous post here: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-29-penny-4-129-6-81-first-green.234308/ We ask that you include those links so we can go back and see the history.

9. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Thanks for the link. I’m still figuring out this board and where to post about what. I’m also on my phone so I can’t quite figure out how to link to a previous condo. I’m quite tech savvy on a computer but my phone doesn’t always cooperate.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. This is the only place that I’m getting any validation that I’m doing things correctly. The more info and help that I get here makes me much more aware of how little information my vets office gave me, which makes me angrier by the day. This is such a big undertaking and they haven’t even contacted me to check in or anything. They basically gave me a bag of needles and insulin and sent me on my way.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Quotes from the locum vet who got us started on insulin. "It's OK to reuse syringes 2-3 times". "Caninsulin is the best insulin and what we use here". "You need to watch her for the first 1/2 hour after the shot, then she'll be OK". I could go on. :rolleyes: To be fair, I was the first person at the clinic to home test - though my vet couldn't show me how to, it was a different (and knowledgable) locum vet who showed me and then pointed me here.

You are with Penny all day - you know her best.

11. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Yes, the person who showed me how to draw insulin from the Lantus pen told me to draw more than I needed and then shoot the excess back into the pen to get to the right dose, air bubbles and all. I cringe now when I see those few air bubbles in my pen from the first few times I did that before reading that this was NOT ok.

12. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member