8/5 Jen's Oreo PMPS~275 We're Back :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jen and Oreo (GA), Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi LL!

I have such a long story...I'll try to make it short :smile: We are back. I need help to get that silly fructosamine test down into an acceptable range. And the best place I know to get that help is right here.

For anyone who doesn't know us, Oreo is not OTJ, but she has been doing fairly well...even without me doing what I should be.

So here's the story. My vet who had been so wonderful with how I was treating Oreo was - more than likely - asked to leave from the clinic by my house. We now have a new vet. She has been doing well with our drooler (who is fighting Giardia and Mange - again) and Oreo was almost out of insulin so... Took her in so I could get her RX renewed. The fructosamine came out very high 300's or low 400's...I honestly can't remember now. But, her recommendations were to split up Oreo's meals (which I'm fine with) and feed her AMPS, +6, PMPS and before bed. But, she was also talking about giving her 1.5U in the morning and 1U at night (yeah, right, not going to happen!). Also, based on some spots I have gotten, I think the high numbers are a bounce and she needs less insulin (which I have started). So, I'm going to do my best to get back to getting help from you all! Posting during the day might be problematic, but I will do what I can.

I trust those of you here so I am back. Have to get this fructosamine down so the new vet will let me treat her :smile: And I know you all here can help me with that.

A quick "hi" to Sandy and BK...saw they were posting earlier and I so hope everything is going well with you!!

SS is updated, will keep an eye tonight for any info you can provide. I will try for some spots on Sat (volunteer from 10-12:30 then will be picking up my nieces for the 1 year anny party at the shelter so may not be back until 3 or 3:30 MST) but should be home most of Sun for a curve.

Have missed you all! And now I know what that "loose lips" condo is ;-)

2. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

HI, JEN AND OREO!!!!!

no input from me...but wanted to stop by and shout out to ya!

celi & binks

3. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jen and Oreo! Well, it is nice to see you! yes , it is... :D I can understand your predicament... and good luck. I finally won that fructosamine battle with my vet - she loves that darn test. Good luck with the new vet too - hope it all works out.

We are all here to help you - looking forward to your posts! :cool: :cool:

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi jen! welcome home!

5. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

Hi Jen, Welcome back. Sparky and I just returned from 2 years OTJ. I never left the board and posted occasionally.
    Good luck to you and Oreo. Nice to see and old timer returned!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good to hear from you. Do you know what lab the vet ran the fructosamine through? The IDEXX interpretation of fructosamine results are as follows: 300 - 350 Excellent, 350 - 400 Good, 400 - 450 Fair, >450 Poor, <250 Prolonged hypo. Results from other labs are pretty similar. I'm not sure Oreo's labs are as bad as you think.

Any chance of some PM spot checks. If you're right about the bouncing, then there are some lower numbers in here and it would be good to know if that's the case. As for feeding, It might make more sense to give the second meal at +4 rather than +6. If you feed around nadir, there's less insulin available to offset the effect of the food.

7. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Saw you posted in our condo! Hi you guys!!! Glad to see you back and with us again..
    Moonie is very happy that Oreo is around here :mrgreen: --Hope you can get new vet to treat her-
    See you got right in the swing of things! :lol: --Big return Hugs from us!

8. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Hi Sienne :smile:

The old vet ran it through IDEXX, not sure on this one. I didn't think it was too bad, but the new vet did. She did say she is pretty tough when it comes to FD. Seems to me like it was in that Excellent to Good range. DH is doing the daytime feeding and all the cats are getting fed. I thought the +6 would be ok as her nadir seems to run later than that. I might be able to get him to do +4, but the +6 seems to keep all the kittehs from bugging the crap out of him for their snack :smile: Also, if he needs to be out, I would have to do it and that would have to be at lunch time so it would be at +6.

PM spots - I can get up to about +4, then I've got to get sleep for work or I'm useless, well, could get away with a day or two of later ones, but not many. I'm guessing on the bounces by the AM spots I got not too long ago (think there was a 200 pt drop in 2 hrs one day).

9. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Awe :D of course I had to stop by since I saw Moonie wasn't feeling good! It's nice to be back again and hugs back at ya!

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If Oreo's nadirs are typically later (and of course, I was thinking Lantus not Lev), they the +6 should be fine. I think if you can get a +2 and/or a before bed check, you'll know where numbers are going. (OK, I'm still thinking Lantus but base the testing on when you think Oreo's numbers would be telegraphing a drop.)

11. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Re: 8/5 Jen's Oreo PMPS~275, +3~268 We're Back :)

Yeah, she's a Lev girl now :smile:, but luckily the twitching she was getting on injection has gone away. Which I'm happy about. Her nadir went really late on the Lev.

Just tested and gave her 1/4 5.5oz can of Merrick's Before Grain. Will probably head to bed soon, but we'll see ;-)

If I don't go soon, I'll get another check before then.

Thank you Sienne! And everyone for stopping by :smile:

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

*waving* hi jen! good to see you!
    glad you'll be getting a few more spot checks to see what's going on. i think you might be onto something by slightly reducing the dose...

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome back Jen and Oreo.

I was wondering, too...as Sienne, what your vet didn't like about the fructosamine test results. Maybe she somehow got it mixed up with the regular BG thresholds. Who knows.

Good luck at bringing her numbers down on the lev.

14. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hello there! ! !
    I had to do a double take. . .
    Good to "see" you two!

15. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you!!!

Oreo - sorry about the extra pokies this weekend, but it will be worth it. Mom will give you extra treats, I'm sure. :mrgreen:

16. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Jen and Oreo!
    Just stopping in to say Hi!

17. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hu Jen...and Oreo!

Good to see you....just wanted to stop in and say Hi..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.