8/6 Catman AM puke + liquipoo, +9 135 , +11 348?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AliceR, Aug 6, 2020.

1. AliceR

AliceR Member

Poor Catman! We woke up to liquid barf in the den. He only nibbled at his 2:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. PetSafe 5 rotations which are normally licked clean in the morning. AMPS was 219 and he ate ½ a 3% can with extra water so I gave him his regular dose.

But after his shot he had diarrhea. He's locked in the laundry room with his comfy bed (linoleum flooring instead of rugs) and he ate a little more new FF. So now he has a bowl of liquidy cat food and a bowl of undiluted cat food to choose from and a litter box nearby. I was going to test at 9:00 which would have been +1 but I wanted to get settled down so I may wait till +2. Normally I would feed and test at +3.

Could it just be a new variety of food? A stomach bug or could he have dropped really low last night? He would have had to have dropped over 375 points to be where I would be worried. I didn't think that was possible. No ketones last night....

He's a mystery and I'm a little sad that maybe the diabetes is a symptom of something else going on that they can't see with blood tests and x-ray.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would just keep an eye on him. If he has any more diarrhea and/or vomiting, I would get him in for a vet visit. It could be a GI bug or due to the food. Did you introduce a new variety/flavor? Things like gluten or some of the proteins that cats can be allergic to can result in vomiting and/or diarrhea. S. boulardii is a good probiotic to help with diarrhea.

3. AliceR

AliceR Member

He's in our hospital ward /laundry room. No pee or poo since the mess this am. He's drinking the water I add to his FF but then leaves the meaty parts. Maybe it's dental. Hard to tell; I tried to look in his mouth, no obvious new bad odor. BG is 130 at +9 which is great without all the other challenges. I can't really tell how many cals he's taking in with his FF soup but if it's just a bug or sensitivity I don't want to mess up his curve.

Sheesh

4. AliceR

AliceR Member

Ok, not dental. He ate perfectly well. Adding LOTS of water to his FF since he got to dehydrated he hasn't peed all day. BGs up 200 pts from 130.

Are these big swings normal in the 1st month?

Makes it hard to know if 200 is a safe number or not at bedtime.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Absolutely normal, and annoying too! Once they get used to spending more time in normal numbers, the bounciness will hopefully flatten out. Some cats take longer than others. It took Neko a year to stop bouncing to red. :rolleyes: