8/6 Mary AMPS 223, PMPS 307, +1 300, +2 294, +3.5 312,+5 273

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Mary, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Mary sends smoochies to everyone!

We're going to try a dose increase to 0.25u increase to 2u today

2. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Re: 8/6 Mary AMPS 223

Good luck with the new dose, Mary! Work the juice pretty girl!

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

4. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Re: 8/6 Mary AMPS 223

I'll try to get a +2.

5. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Re: 8/6 Mary AMPS 223, +2 359, +6 342

So I'm suspecting that Mary may be getting too much vs too little insulin since I am seeing no improvement in her glucose levels as I've increased her insulin levels. Is there a way to tell? The one thing I could think of would be to do her injection tonight but not give her her food for a few hours. If her glucose levels increase then it's probably too much insulin/somogyi and if it drops it probably not enough insulin and keep going with the gradual increases. Does that sound right or is there something else I could try?

6. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Re: 8/6 Mary AMPS 223, +2 359, +6 342. Somogyi question

Bump. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 8/6 Mary AMPS 223, +2 359, +6 342,+10 335. Somogyi ques

First, the entire concept of Somogyi is controversial, at best. The original research was done in 1938 on a very small number of human subjects. That original research has never been replicated which is the hallmark of good science. Further, the original research was not done with a long acting insulin like Lantus or Levemir. Fundamentally, chronic Somogyi rebound has taken on the cachet of an urban legend. In addition, Mary's numbers don't suggest a bounce. Her numbers are relatively flat.

Mary is not on a great deal of insulin. You are also holding her doses for longer than is necessary. If there's anything that may explain the flat numbers, IMHO it's glucose toxicity. I think you need to be following the protocol and increasing the dose every 6 cycles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.