8/7 AMPS 268 advice please

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by SaraBear, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

Hi All,

I've been monitoring Rod's BG on the spreadsheet for a little over two weeks now. Last week increased his dose to 3.5u on Novolin N. I feel like we've seen improvement. Last night, his BG was 185, so we did not give him his shot---the recommendation is not to shoot under 250, correct? This morning, he is at 268. I feel wary of giving him insulin as I will be at work in about an hour and a half and won't be able to monitor him. Any advice? Thanks

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You did the right thing last night.I think he's high enough to get insulin but you could try a dose reduction. He's not all that high after a skipped dose last night and you don't have a lot of data yet so I'd suggest a 50% dose (maybe 1.5 u) instead of a smaller reduction that we'd normally recommend. If you're still concerned you could leave some higher carb food out for him when you leave. If you're still worried you always have the option to skip another shot. It's hard to predict exactly what a kitty will do until you have a lot of SS data. Even then they'll trip you up!

Leah likes this.
  3. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I gave him a reduced dose yesterday morning--just 1 unit since I was concerned--and tested him when I came home about 8 hours later and he was at 180. But at PMPS he was back up at 400 :( gave him 2 units to see how he would react but I fell asleep early and did not get to test his BG again until this morning. Back to almost 400 at AMPS. So I went back to 3.5u. I can check on him at my lunch break today at around 1 (+5). Maybe I should have went back to his regular dose last night but I was excited at the thought of lowering his dose :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.