8/7 Claudio AMPS 60 Skipping PM shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Susan & Claudio, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/claudio-amps-73-pmps-148

Claudio must have thought yesterday was fun, so he's doing a repeat performance today. UGH !!
    I was leery about giving him any insulin PM yesterday. But I did give him 2.5U. I was afraid after how hard it was to get him to rise.
    He bobbled up an down last night.
    Today I reduced dosage to 4.5U.
    So far today..
    AMPS - 60
    +2 - 64
    +4 - 39

Again he won't eat. So I used an eye dropper to put some karo in his mouth. That was so much easier than trying to put it directly on his gums.

Guess another reducie for PM tonight.

After yesterday I feel like the walking dead today.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

He's earned the reduction. Carb him up if you need a nap. You have to look after yourself too because this is the alternative.

2214498b6d8712c324484d36585ccd8a.jpg

3. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

That will be me later.
    I just realized that I never ate yesterday. My food wasn't on my mind.

I would carb him up if he would eat. He refuses.
    So I've been eye droppering karo into his mouth.
    I know it's not ideal but I know of no other solution to bring him up.

Sonia & Leo and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  4. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Hopefully you only have a few more hours of "insulin peak". It seems he likes to nadir before +6. If Karo's the only option it works well...just have to be a lil more persistent:arghh: That's all I could use with Moey the last couple of months...he refused MC or HC. Paws crossed Claudio's finished with this shark teasin business soon:bighug::)
    Come on Claudio, Mom's tired and needs to take care of herself so, she can take care of you!:cat:

Susan & Claudio likes this.
  5. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Thanks.
    Unfortunately you get it.
    I was looking for and couldn't find any hc pate. Since he'll only eat pate when he decides to eat. :banghead:
    I didn't put up with all this pickiness with my kids. :smuggrin:

6. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Reduced yesterday form 5U to 4.5U.
    Since he earned another reducie today, reduce by .25 or .50 ?
    Open to suggestions.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Claudio comes up soon. It's frustrating when they won't eat. I'm glad you can use the eye dropper to get karo into him.

8. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

I would have done the BCS last night too. What a couple days you two have had!!! Holy cow!! In regards to the HC food.......I have heard folks recommending adding only the gravy to a bit of the LC/MC (or just by itself---maybe that will help?---or maybe mush up the flakes/chunks....

My silly Nova would not touch pate or any wet food before she was diagnosed...turned her nose up at special holiday/birthday meals. Surprisingly, after dx her hunger got the best of her and she readily ate what was put in front of her...no transition at all!

I have no clue on your reducie, but in your shoes, I would do .5---if only to drain the depot a bit more and steady Claudio out. :bighug::bighug:

9. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Doesn't it feel odd to say comes up instead of comes down, lol.:joyful:

carfurby (GA) and LindyNova like this.
  10. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Believe me, I have tried every trick that I know of to get him to eat.
    If the eye dropper w/karo works for now, well so be it.
    Assuming that once he's done deep sea diving he'll go back to eating.

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried wiping HC gravy or karo on his chin/cheeks or the top of a paw? Will he lick it off? It's a big faux pas in human/cat etiquette but if it works …

12. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of a HC pate...the gravy lovers and some of the other Fancy Feast brands tend to have chunks in with the gravy...if he won't eat the chunks you can try straining out the chunks and feed him the gravy...that's where the carbs are anyway.

I like that idea of putting it on his paws...see if he'll lick it off. I've had to put a drop or two of honey on Luci's paws when she got too low and I was frantic...she licked it off without hesitation...but then she's a little piggy and will eat anything. I don't suppose your Claudio has any interest in hooman foods? Luci is a sucker for candy, ice cream, cake, pastries, pizza...yep...all those forbidden things...I've got to watch her like a hawk. I caught her one day licking the remnants of frosting off of a lid that had gotten left on the counter....oh that girl:rolleyes::facepalm::eek:

Susan & Claudio and LindyNova like this.
  13. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Apology in advance.
    I am beyond frazzled. This is day 2 of this drama.
    I am mentally exhausted trying to get him to eat. I am emotionally exhausted over the numbers.
    He did eat 1/2 can of FF for breakfast. But that was it. No more food after that. You'd think he'd be hungry with those low numbers.
    All I've been doing is giving karo with an eye dropper orally. That can't be good. Nor nutritious. I tried hc gravy on his paw. All that did was give him a sticky paw. He wouldn't lick it off.
    I even tried hooman food. He used to love corn chips and salt & vinegar potato chips. Or chicken. Hence how he got to be 20 lbs. But no,nada, no interest.
    He's not licking his lips or even sniffing it. He just turns his head away from the food. So I don't think he's nauseous.
    I am seriously considering skipping any insulin tonight.
    Hoping draining the depot will bring his numbers back up.

14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

If he's not eating it can't hurt to skip and give yourself a break and keep him safe. Here are the tips for to get a cat to eat.

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

15. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Carla,
    Funny you posted that as I was reading that in the health links.
    Gonna try the baby food since I have some for him.
    If I can find some kelp powder, going to try the liver shake.
    All the other suggestions either I tried already or he doesn't like.
    Thanks for helping me. We REALLY appreciate it!!!! :bighug::):cat:

LindyNova likes this.
  16. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

OMG. He ate about 2 tablespoons worth of chicken baby food !!!
    Oh how a little thing like baby food can make me so happy.
    He just finished the entire jar !!!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  17. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

I'm so glad he's eating Susan. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. LindyNova

Me too! So happy he got some
    food in his belly!

19. LindyNova

Everything go good last night? Did you get some good sleep? Inquiring minds want to know......:cat:

Susan & Claudio and Sonia & Leo like this.